Tingly feeling in brain after solving hard problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the feeling of satisfaction and excitement that comes with solving a difficult problem, particularly in the field of mathematics. This feeling is described as a "tingly feeling" or "nerdgasm" and can be triggered by various factors such as verifying a derivation or having prior knowledge. The conversation also touches on the role of emotions and struggles in the problem-solving process.
john562
Do you guys ever get this tingly feeling in your brain after you spend a long time trying to figure out how to solve a problem (eg mathematical proof) and finally getting it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Endorphines?

I just think x is sexy :D

raam86 said:

I bet algebra was your favorite class :biggrin:.

Yes, then you get very happy. And the day after it appears that the solution doesn't work and we get depressed. That's the story of math...

john562 said:
Do you guys ever get this tingly feeling in your brain after you spend a long time trying to figure out how to solve a problem (eg mathematical proof) and finally getting it?

Stroke?

raam86 said:

lisab said:
I bet algebra was your favorite class :biggrin:.

I experimented with y's for a while, but that was just a phase...

G01 said:
I experimented with y's for a while, but that was just a phase...
For me it was [tex]\phi[/tex], also just a phase.
Once a professor asked the class how many Lebesgue measurable sets there were on the interval from 0 to 1. We just sat there thinking for about 5 minutes before finally, I blurted out "Oh!" and gave the answer. I was really proud of myself not only because I figured it out, but because I was easily the worst student in the room and yet figured that problem out faster than they did. It really did tingle. However, in the intervening years, I have come to the conclusion that the problem was a forced march in the sense that the only reasonable approach to the problem is the one that works. In a spare moment a few days earlier I had read a few pages from a book on set theory that explained cardinality. Probably the reason I got the answer quicker than the others is that this bit of extra-curricular reading was still fresh in my mind.

Nerdgasm.

I'm the kind that has lots of tiny ones instead of the big N.

I usually get it if I verify the derivation by a simulation on the computer. Until then, I can never believe I really did it. And if the simulation verifies, it is orgasmic, I jump from my chair, and once again believe in the power of the formulas, which becomes unbelievable quite soon.

Heh, yes... But only rarely.

Usually when I've been working on something really, really hard for a long time and I'm not getting it.

It's not working.

I cannot get it. I've stopped and come back, still nothing.

I'm getting really angry, I'm berating myself, I'm in the middle of my third cigarette...

And then it clicks.

john562 said:

John,

I see from your post count you are rather new here, that said, I think you may be interested in this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=413657", started by Fuzzyfelt. There are some real interesting posts describing that "tingly feeling" you are referring to by many different PF members. Good hunting...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the mention, rhody.

fuzzyfelt said:
Thanks for the mention, rhody.

Fuzzy,

You are welcome, there is a wealth of information to investigate and ponder here...
John, I think you will be amazed at the depth and breadth of the discussion here, very cool thread, IMHO. Hope you enjoy it.

Rhody... :-p

Related to Tingly feeling in brain after solving hard problem?

What causes the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem?

The tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem is caused by the release of neurotransmitters, specifically dopamine, in the brain. Dopamine is associated with feelings of pleasure and reward, and is released when we accomplish a difficult task or achieve a goal.

Is the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem the same as an "aha moment"?

The tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem can be considered similar to an "aha moment," as both involve a release of dopamine and a feeling of accomplishment. However, the "aha moment" is typically associated with a sudden realization or understanding, while the tingly feeling may occur throughout the problem-solving process.

Why do some people not experience the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem?

The tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem may not be experienced by everyone. This could be due to individual differences in brain chemistry or the way the brain processes rewards. It is also possible that some individuals may not find the problem as difficult or rewarding as others, leading to a lack of the tingly feeling.

Can the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem be replicated or manipulated?

While there is no guaranteed way to replicate or manipulate the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem, there are certain activities that can increase dopamine levels and potentially lead to a similar sensation. These include engaging in challenging tasks, exercising, and listening to music.

Is the tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem beneficial?

The tingly feeling in the brain after solving a hard problem can be beneficial in several ways. It can provide a sense of accomplishment and motivation to continue solving difficult problems. It can also enhance learning and memory, as dopamine is involved in the formation of new neural connections. However, excessive seeking of this feeling can also lead to addictive or risk-taking behaviors.