Time Travel Proposal: Observing Objects from the Past?

In summary, if an object we could observe is seen from a distance, we are experiencing it in the past due to the time it takes for the light to travel to us.
NetMage
Hello, so last night something occurred to me that I thought perhaps some of you might find interesting and enlighten me with validation. As I understand light travels at c in a vaccum. When light propogates through our atmosphere and through other particles it travels slower than c. Does this go to say that if we observe and object from a distance, we are experiencing it sometime in the past ( even if ever so slightly ). Due to the information we observe sent optically which still propogates at some time. . Rowland institute for science in 1999 slowed light to 38 miles per hour. That goes to say that if an object we could observe 38 miles away, we would be experiencing it an hour in the past? Please validate this and post your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey NetMage,

Your deductive logic is spot-on. You are correct. Since light takes time to travel over a distance, you really see objects as they were in the past.

This effect gets really serious when you're looking at astronomical objects. It takes over 8 minutes for the light from the Sun to reach the Earth. When you look up at the Sun, you're really seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago. If you look back even further, you can see how galaxies looked when they were very young. We know of galaxies that are billions of light years away. They appear as they were billions of years ago, when they were young. They're called 'quasars,' I think they are some of the most interesting objects in the night sky.

- Warren

Yes, that is quite something. So theoretically, if we found some materials, say a box of hypothetical gas or something that we could see right through, but light propogates through the gas at a very slow rate...and we had people in this box ( say it was a 30m x 30m box ), we would be observing their actions perhaps minutes or so ( depending on how slow the light propogates through it of course ) in the past. Say bob throws a football to alice, we might see this minutes after it happens even if we were only standing just outside the box? I am intruiged by this as you can tell. It just seems to me as seeing stars that are light years away has less significance than something observable that happens on a daily basis. Maybe not less significant, but less tangible, for if some one stepped into the box, they are now living some where in the past to outside observers.

I'm not sure that your proposal is any more 'time travel' than using a delayed Video recording of an event. You are only able to see what has already happened in either case.

Many scams have been suggested and some have worked when a 'mug' has been fooled into thinking he was getting real-time information, which was actually delayed by a few minutes / seconds and the scammers can appear to predict the future by acting on the real time info. But that's just Hollywood and Banking!

You are actually 'seeing' photons, not the actual event.

Photons are radiated or reflected from an object and take time to travel to the eye of the observer, where they are converted into electrical impulses and passed to the brain.

You don't actually 'observe' the event, just the photons radiated by, or reflected by, 'the event'.

The 'event' happened in the past, due to the time taken by the photons to reach your eye.

Hope this helps.

Hey NetMage, in theory you are correct. You could use one of those devices to slow the light down, and it would add a time delay between their actions and your seeing their actions. sophicentaur is right, though, you could achieve the same effect by putting someone in a jail cell and only letting them communicate through a videotape delay in both directions. You don't really need any fancy physics to do it.

- Warren

Related to Time Travel Proposal: Observing Objects from the Past?

1. Can we actually travel through time?

While it is currently not possible to physically travel through time, there are theories and experiments being conducted to explore the concept of time travel. Some scientists believe that it may be possible through the use of advanced technology or by manipulating the laws of physics.

2. What is the purpose of observing objects from the past?

The purpose of observing objects from the past is to gather information and gain a better understanding of historical events and the evolution of the universe. It could also potentially help us predict future events and make advancements in science and technology.

3. How would observing objects from the past affect the present?

It is still unknown how observing objects from the past would affect the present. Some scientists theorize that it could create alternate timelines or paradoxes, while others believe that the past is already set and cannot be changed.

4. What are the potential risks of time travel and observing objects from the past?

There are many potential risks associated with time travel and observing objects from the past. These include altering the course of history, disrupting the space-time continuum, and causing unforeseen consequences in the present and future.

5. Is it ethical to observe objects from the past?

The ethics of observing objects from the past is a topic of debate. Some argue that it could violate the rights and privacy of individuals in the past, while others believe that the potential benefits outweigh any ethical concerns. It is important for any time travel proposals to consider the ethical implications and address them accordingly.