Time Travel: How Does a Fast Electron Experience Sunrise?

In summary, an electron in my gold tooth travels somewhat over half the speed of light, and if it registers 10 years of sunrises, doesn't that fly in the face of the statement that it should experience the passage of time normally?
jefals said:
As far back as you want to go, the passage of time as been associated with the earthly cycles. We needed to find a way to tell when to plant. When to reap. And we always had an idea about when the sun was going to rise the next day. If all of a sudden, sunrises started happening 10 times faster than normal, our ancestors would have freaked out big time.
So, given that background, and the hundreds of times I've heard the claim "time passes normally inside the spaceship" - those two taken together spurred me to ponder this scenario. It turns out not EVERYTHING about the passage of time is normal inside the spaceship. 10 sunrises per day is not normal.
By this same logic, I’m creating a new reality every time I get on the interstate, because when in history has it been normal to see trees moving at 80 mph?

Physics news on Phys.org
jefals said:
The statement that the traveler experiences the passage of time normally, would fail if you include watching the sunrise in your definition of what it means to experience the passage of time normally.

Astronauts aboard the ISS see a sunrise every 1.5 hours, yet they experience the passage of time normally in the same way as those of us down here on Earth's surface.

Likes Ibix and Dale
Pencilvester said:
By this same logic, I’m creating a new reality every time I get on the interstate, because when in history has it been normal to see trees moving at 80 mph?
I would say that every time a caveman tried to outrun a bear, he noticed two things:
The trees were moving towards him faster. And so was the bear.
In any event, no matter how fast his non-relativistic motion within a time-zone, the sun would rise as it always had.
Hey you guys answered my question a long time ago. Now, as was pointed out, this talk about "alternate realities" doesn't belong here, and I apologize for bringing it up. A lot of the popular scientists I see (Michao
Pencilvester said:
I would say ever since the first caveman tried to outrun a bear, he noticed two things: The trees were moving towards him faster. And so was the bear. No matter how fast he ran - or modern earthman moves - the sun always comes up as expected.
As was pointed out, this talk about alternate realities likely doesn't belong in this forum, and sorry I brought it up. A lot of the popular scientists I follow - like Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Brian Cox - Paul Davies - would entertain these discussions, I guess because they know their audiences include folks like me.
But I now recognize it was a mistake to bring it up here. Perfectly fine dropping this, but much thanks for all insight you guys have provided!

Likes Dale
jefals said:
A lot of the popular scientists I follow - like Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Brian Cox - Paul Davies - would entertain these discussions
All of them understand special relativity well enough to realize that it has nothing whatsoever to do with parallel universes.

Likes BvU
jbriggs444 said:
All of them understand special relativity well enough to realize that it has nothing whatsoever to do with parallel universes.
In the words of Al Pacino..."I keep tryin to get out. They keep pulling me back in"! :)
I think I mentioned multiverses many posts back when in regards to whether we could consider there are multiple realities. I was attempting to make a point that we could consider each universe a separate reality.
Again -- I'm very happy to wrap this up!

jefals said:
In the words of Al Pacino..."I keep tryin to get out. They keep pulling me back in"! :)
I think I mentioned multiverses many posts back when in regards to whether we could consider there are multiple realities. I was attempting to make a point that we could consider each universe a separate reality.
Again, even if such universes are real, they have nothing to do with the alternate realities that you incorrectly imagine special relativity to include.

jbriggs444 said:
Again, even if such universes are real, they have nothing to do with the alternate realities that you incorrectly imagine special relativity to include.
I don't imagine special relativity to include any alternate realities at all. Unless I define reality in a way that allows them. One of you folks (I think Norgatory) set me clear on that many posts ago.