Time translation symmetry and the Big Bang

In summary: The reason this can happen with time-symmetric laws of physics is that solutions come in pairs: there is another solution to the laws of physics in which the "past" looks like our future and the "future" looks like our past--i.e., a universe contracting from highly dilute matter and radiation in just the right way to form a hot, dense, rapidly contracting "Big Crunch" at the end. So the time symmetry of the laws only appears when you look at the full set of solutions; it doesn't appear when you look at just one solution by itself. But the laws still apply everywhere in all solutions.
Robin04
Hi,

As I know we now think that time translation is not a symmetry of spacetime because of the Big Bang, so we cannot say that our physical laws are applicable at every point in time. But then isn't the developing of the Big Bang theory against this asymmetry?

Space news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:
so we cannot say that our physical laws are applicable at every point in time
Why would you come to this conclusion? It is not correct. General relativity describes most of the expansion of the Universe perfectly well.

Orodruin said:
Why would you come to this conclusion? It is not correct. General relativity describes most of the expansion of the Universe perfectly well.

But also use for example thermodynamics and particle physics to describe the properties of matter at that time.

Robin04 said:
But also use for example thermodynamics and particle physics to describe the properties of matter at that time.
Yes, to a very good approximation. When it comes to particle physics, we often assume that the background is Minkowski space-time when making computations. For most of the evolution of the Universe, this is a very good approximation.

Orodruin said:
Yes, to a very good approximation. When it comes to particle physics, we often assume that the background is Minkowski space-time when making computations. For most of the evolution of the Universe, this is a very good approximation.

But how do we "know" this? This doens't seem like a simple extrapolation to me because we say that there's no time translation.

Robin04 said:
But how do we "know" this? This doens't seem like a simple extrapolation to me because we say that there's no time translation.
It is an assumption, and it turns out to describe observations very well. I do not understand why you think time translation non-invariance breaks this assumption (that the same physical laws should apply to all events in space-time).

I think I missed that this assymetry doesn't necessarily mean that our laws are not applicable but simply it says that we cannot be sure about their range in which they can be used. Problem solved, I think. Thank you for your help. :)

Robin04 said:
this assymetry doesn't necessarily mean that our laws are not applicable but simply it says that we cannot be sure about their range in which they can be used

No, that's not what the asymmetry implies. It implies one of two things: either (1) the laws themselves are time-asymmetric; or (2) the initial conditions of the particular solution of the laws that we live in were time asymmetric. The current mainstream belief is that (2) is the case for our universe: we live in a solution of the laws of physics in which the past is very different from the future (hot, dense, rapidly expanding Big Bang in the past, vs. increasingly dilute matter and radiation in the future). But the same laws still apply everywhere, and they are time symmetric.

The reason this can happen with time-symmetric laws of physics is that solutions come in pairs: there is another solution to the laws of physics in which the "past" looks like our future and the "future" looks like our past--i.e., a universe contracting from highly dilute matter and radiation in just the right way to form a hot, dense, rapidly contracting "Big Crunch" at the end. So the time symmetry of the laws only appears when you look at the full set of solutions; it doesn't appear when you look at just one solution by itself. But the laws still apply everywhere in all solutions.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is time translation symmetry?

Time translation symmetry is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the laws of nature remain the same regardless of when they are applied. This means that physical phenomena should behave the same way at different points in time.

2. How does time translation symmetry relate to the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. This implies a lack of a preferred time or direction, which is consistent with time translation symmetry. In other words, the laws of nature that govern the universe should be the same at any point in time.

3. What evidence supports time translation symmetry in the Big Bang?

One of the main pieces of evidence for time translation symmetry in the Big Bang is the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This leftover radiation from the early universe is extremely uniform, indicating that the universe was homogeneous and isotropic at the time it was emitted. This supports the idea that the laws of physics were the same at that point in time.

4. Are there any exceptions to time translation symmetry in the Big Bang?

While time translation symmetry is a fundamental concept, it is not absolute. There are certain phenomena, such as the expansion of the universe and the arrow of time, that suggest a preferred direction in time. However, these exceptions do not contradict the overall idea that the laws of nature are the same at different points in time.

5. How does time translation symmetry impact our understanding of the Big Bang?

Time translation symmetry is a crucial concept in understanding the origins and evolution of the universe. It helps us make predictions and test theories about the early universe, and it also allows us to study the universe at different points in time without having to account for changes in physical laws. Without time translation symmetry, our understanding of the Big Bang and the universe as a whole would be significantly different.