Time Series - Autoregressive process and Probability Limit

In summary, the calculation of PLIM (probability limit) for the given expression involves assuming independence of the error terms, and using the fact that as T approaches infinity, the terms involving Y_0 go to 0 due to the condition |\rho| < 1. This results in the final answer being equal to 0.
frenchkiki

Homework Statement

Calculate: PLIM (probability limit) [itex]\frac{1}{T} \sum^T_{t=2} u^2_t Y^2_{t-1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]Y_t = \rho Y_{t-1} + u_t, t=1,...T, |\rho| <1 [/itex] which the autoregressive process of order 1

[itex] E(u_t) = 0, Var(u_t) = \sigma^2[/itex] for t

[itex] cov(u_j, u_s) = 0[/itex] for j [itex]\neq s [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that PLIM [itex]\frac{1}{T} \sum^T_{t=2} u^2_t Y^2_{t-1} = E[u^2_t Y^2_{t-1}] [/itex]

I have found [itex] Y_{t-1} = \sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j} [/itex]

Plugging in, I get [itex]E[u^2_t Y^2_{t-1}] = E[u^2_t (\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j})^2]=E[(u_t (\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j}))^2]=E[(\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2]=\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j E[(u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2][/itex]

And I am stuck here because I don't know what to do with [itex]E[(u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2][/itex] ??

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps they meant to say that ##u_j,u_s## are independent for ##j\neq s##. If That were the case then you could write:

$$E[(u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2]=E[{u_{t-j}}^2 {u_{t-1-j}}^2]=E[{u_{t-j}}^2]\cdot E[{u_{t-1-j}}^2]$$
since ##{u_j}^2,{u_s}^2## will then also be independent.

However they have only given you the weaker condition that ##cov(u_j, u_s) = 0##, which I think is not enough to justify that step.

Indeed, I wonder whether it would be possible to construct a counter-example in which the process ##u_j## is conditional heteroscedastic, so that its unconditional variance is ##\sigma^2## and serial correlation is zero but its conditional variance is a mean-reverting random walk, so that successive values are not independent.

You could ask your teacher whether you are allowed to assume serial independence.

Thanks andrewkirk. I've seen somewhere in my notes that the errors (u_t's) are i.i.d. I'll use independence then.

frenchkiki said:

Homework Statement

Calculate: PLIM (probability limit) [itex]\frac{1}{T} \sum^T_{t=2} u^2_t Y^2_{t-1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]Y_t = \rho Y_{t-1} + u_t, t=1,...T, |\rho| <1 [/itex] which the autoregressive process of order 1

[itex] E(u_t) = 0, Var(u_t) = \sigma^2[/itex] for t

[itex] cov(u_j, u_s) = 0[/itex] for j [itex]\neq s [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that PLIM [itex]\frac{1}{T} \sum^T_{t=2} u^2_t Y^2_{t-1} = E[u^2_t Y^2_{t-1}] [/itex]

I have found [itex] Y_{t-1} = \sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j} [/itex]

Plugging in, I get [itex]E[u^2_t Y^2_{t-1}] = E[u^2_t (\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j})^2]=E[(u_t (\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-1-j}))^2]=E[(\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2]=\sum^{T-1}_{j=0} \rho^j E[(u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2][/itex]

And I am stuck here because I don't know what to do with [itex]E[(u_{t-j} u_{t-1-j})^2][/itex] ??

Thank you in advance!

I get a different expression from yours, and the difference is substantial. By iterating the recurrence relation I get
[tex]Y_{t-1} = \rho^{t-1} Y_0 + \sum_{j=0}^{t-2} \rho^j u_{t-1-j}. [/tex]
Thus
[tex] u_t^2 Y_{t-1}^2 = \rho^{2t-2} u_t^2 Y_0^2 + 2 \rho^{t-1} Y_0 \sum_{j=0}^{t-2} \rho^j u_{t-1-j} u_t^2 \\
+ \sum_{j=0}^{t-2} \rho^{2j} u_{t-1-j}^2 u_t^2 + \sum_{k=1}^{t-2} \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \rho^{j+k} u_{t-1-j} u_{t-1-k} u_t^2 [/tex]
In order to be able to compute ##E(u_t^2 Y_{t-1}^2)## you need to assume independence of ##u_1, u_2, \ldots u_T##, and you need to make some assumptions about the nature of ##Y_0## and its relation to the ##u_t## sequence.

As long as the ##u_k## are i.i.d, when we take the expected value, all the terms that have a factor ##u_\alpha## will become zero and any factors of the form ##{u_\alpha}^2## will become ##\sigma^2##. I think that will get rid of the double sum and the sum on the first line. There will still be a ##E[{Y_0}^2]## factor in the first term, but that's OK because it's not entangled with anything else distributionwise.

andrewkirk said:
As long as the ##u_k## are i.i.d, when we take the expected value, all the terms that have a factor ##u_\alpha## will become zero and any factors of the form ##{u_\alpha}^2## will become ##\sigma^2##. I think that will get rid of the double sum and the sum on the first line. There will still be a ##E[{Y_0}^2]## factor in the first term, but that's OK because it's not entangled with anything else distributionwise.

I wanted the OP to deal with these issues, so I deliberately refrained from saying more about them in my message.

Ray Vickson said:
I wanted the OP to deal with these issues, so I deliberately refrained from saying more about them in my message.
Oh, fair enough then. I didn't realize that was what your post was aiming at. Sorry for mucking it up.

Thanks Ray and andrewkirk.

The terms involving [itex]Y_0[/itex] go to 0 as [itex]T[/itex] goes to infinity because [itex]|\rho|[/itex] < 1. Each element ends up being the covariance of the squared errors and the whole thing equals to 0.

Thanks for you help!

Related to Time Series - Autoregressive process and Probability Limit

1. What is a time series?

A time series is a set of data points collected over time at regular intervals. It includes a sequence of observations or measurements recorded at different time points.

2. What is an autoregressive process?

An autoregressive process is a model used to describe a time series where the current value of the variable depends on its previous values and a random disturbance term. It is often denoted as AR(p), where p represents the number of lagged values included in the model.

3. How does an autoregressive process differ from a moving average process?

An autoregressive process considers the previous values of a variable, while a moving average process only considers the errors or residuals of the previous values. In other words, an autoregressive process is based on the idea of "memory", while a moving average process is based on the idea of "shocks".

4. What is the probability limit in a time series?

The probability limit in a time series refers to the theoretical limit of a sequence of random variables as the number of observations increases. In simpler terms, it is the expected value or outcome of a time series as time goes to infinity.

5. How can probability limit be used in forecasting time series data?

The probability limit can be used to estimate the long-term behavior of a time series and make forecasts about future values. It helps identify any underlying trends or patterns in the data that can be used to predict future outcomes.