Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential

In summary, the discussion focused on the time-reversal Lorentz transformation and its effect on the electromagnetic 4-potential. The professor argued that the four-potential would transform differently for time-reversal due to the reversal of currents. There is a mathematical argument for this based on the transformation of four-vectors, but it only applies to proper orthchronous transformations. The concept of the invariant coupling j^mu A_mu was also discussed.
Backpacker
Consider the time-reversal Lorentz transformation given by the 4x4 matrix:

[itex]\Lambda_T = \begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 &1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &1
\end{pmatrix}.
[/itex]

In my relativistic quantum mechanics lecture, we discussed how the electromagnetic 4-potential transforms under this particular Lorentz transformation. Without invoking any sort of mathematical argument, the prof argued that the four-potential transforms as
[itex]
\begin{align*}
A_0 (x^0,x^i)\longmapsto & A'_0 (x'^0,x'^i)=A_0 (-x^0,x^i)\\
A_j (x^0,x^i)\longmapsto & A'_j (x'^0,x'^i)=-A_j (-x^0,x^i)
\end{align*}
[/itex]
based on the idea that currents reverse under time-reversal.

Is there a good mathematical reasoning for this? It seems to me that since four-vectors transform as [itex]A\mapsto \Lambda A[/itex], the minus sign should be applied to [itex]A_0[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
A coupling (scalar, not pseudoscalar) [itex] j^{\mu}A_{\mu} [/itex] is invariant, so that if j0 is invariant, then the space components of j and the ones of A have the same sign, namely -.

Ok, so I'm comfortable with the fact that the spatial components of the current are inverted under time reversal, i.e. ##{j'}^i=-j^i##.

But, why is ##j^\mu A_\mu## invariant? And what does ##j^\mu A_\mu## mean physically?

Hold on, I guess I see where some of my confusion is coming from.

In class, we showed that under a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##, the current (just like any good 4-vector) transforms as ##j'^\mu={\Lambda^\mu}_\nu j^\nu##. But I guess this is only for proper orthchronous transformations. Why is this different for improper transformations?

I would like to provide a mathematical explanation for the transformation of the electromagnetic 4-potential under the time-reversal Lorentz transformation given by the 4x4 matrix \Lambda_T. First, let us define the electromagnetic four-potential as A=(A_0,A_1,A_2,A_3).

The time-reversal transformation given by \Lambda_T can be written as A'=\Lambda_T A. This means that the transformed four-potential is given by A'=(A_0',A_1',A_2',A_3')=(A_0,-A_1,-A_2,-A_3).

Now, let's consider the time-reversal transformation of the electric and magnetic fields, given by E'=-E and B'=-B. Using the definition of the electromagnetic fields in terms of the four-potential, E=-\nabla A_0-\frac{\partial A}{\partial t} and B=\nabla\times A, we can write the transformed fields as E'=-(-\nabla A_0-\frac{\partial A'}{\partial t})=-(-\nabla A_0+\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}) and B'=\nabla\times A'=-(-\nabla\times A).

From this, we can see that the time component of the four-potential, A_0, does not change under time-reversal, while the spatial components of the four-potential, A_i, change sign. This is consistent with the transformation given by the professor, as A_0'=-A_0 and A_j'=-A_j.

To summarize, the mathematical reasoning for the transformation of the electromagnetic four-potential under the time-reversal Lorentz transformation is based on the transformation of the electric and magnetic fields, which in turn is derived from the definition of the electromagnetic fields in terms of the four-potential. This provides a solid mathematical explanation for the professor's argument that the four-potential transforms as A\mapsto A'=(A_0,-A_1,-A_2,-A_3) under time-reversal.

Related to Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential

What is time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential?

Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential is a mathematical process used to transform the components of the electromagnetic four-potential (a combination of the electric and magnetic fields) at one point in time to the components at another point in time.

Why is time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential important in physics?

Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential is important in physics because it allows us to understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields over time. It also helps us to predict and analyze phenomena such as electromagnetic radiation and electromagnetic waves.

How does time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential relate to the concept of time symmetry?

Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential is closely related to the concept of time symmetry, which states that the laws of physics should be the same regardless of whether time is moving forwards or backwards. This transformation allows us to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in both directions of time, making it a useful tool in understanding time symmetry.

What are some practical applications of time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential?

One practical application of time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential is in the field of medical imaging, where it is used to create images of internal organs and structures using electromagnetic waves. It is also used in telecommunications to transmit and receive information through the use of electromagnetic fields.

Are there any limitations or challenges to using time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential?

One limitation of time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential is that it assumes a perfectly symmetric and stable environment, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, accurately measuring and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields can be complex and challenging, leading to potential errors in the transformation process.