Time Evolution of Polarized Cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in quantum mechanics involving a particular x-polarized cavity mode described by a state at t=0. The goal is to find the state for t>0 in the Schrodinger picture and evaluate the expectation and uncertainty of the electric field operator as a function of time. The person asking for help is struggling with the material and seeking guidance on how to approach the problem and understand the notation used. They mention their past courses and the drop deadline having passed, causing them to feel stuck and in need of hand-holding. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are also provided.
danjferg

Homework Statement

Suppose that a particular x-polarized cavity mode is described, at time t = 0, by the state

|ψ(0)> = (1/√2)(|n> + |n+1>)

Find |ψ(t)> for t > 0. This is best done in the Schrodinger picture. Evaluate the expectation of the electric field operator Ex and the uncertainty <ΔEx2>, both as a function of time. Plot your result for n = 1.​

I'm brand new to QM, and took this class after talking to the professor before the semester started. He assured me based on my past courses that I should be able to handle this class. I breezed through the first homework, but now we're doing advanced stuff using material that I have never seen before. Drop deadline passed after 1st homework so I'm stuck. I've got $5000 on the line and I really need help learning this stuff! I really need some hand-holding for these first few problems so I can learn the math and notation. My understanding of QHO is shaky at best, so this new section is really killing me.

Homework Equations

[itex]H = \hbar \sum_{j}\omega_{j}\left(\hat{a}_{j}^{\dagger}\hat{a}_{j}+\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]
[itex]\left[\hat{a}_{i},\hat{a}_{j}^{\dagger}\right]=\delta_{ij}[/itex]
[itex]\left[\hat{a}_{i},\hat{a}_{i}\right]=\left[\hat{a}_{i}^{\dagger},\hat{a}_{i}^{\dagger}\right]=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. Usually I solve using the Heisenberg picture, and there I get

[itex]\left|\psi,t\right\rangle=exp\left(\frac{-iHt}{\hbar}\right)\left|\psi\right\rangle[/itex]

but I'm unclear on how to merge the Hamiltonian into the state, or exactly what the state represents. I'm looking for guidance on how to approach these problems. What, notationally, do N and N+1 represent? How do I properly set it up? I can give more details if necessary, but that is all I know to be pertinent right now.

From the Schrodinger picture I'd start with

[itex]\left|\psi\left(t\right)\right\rangle=\sum_{j}\sum_{n}c_{jn}\left|j,n\right\rangle e^{-i\left(n_{j}+1/2\right)\omega_{j}t}[/itex]

and set t=0. but how do the summations resolve (disappear from the equation)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the expectation of the electric field operator E_{x} and the uncertainty ΔE_{x}^{2}? I'm really confused on how to properly set up this problem.

Related to Time Evolution of Polarized Cavity

1. What is the "Time Evolution of Polarized Cavity"?

The "Time Evolution of Polarized Cavity" refers to the change in polarization of light as it passes through an optical cavity over a period of time. This phenomenon is important in understanding the behavior of light in various optical systems.

2. How is the polarization of light affected by a polarized cavity?

When light passes through a polarized cavity, its polarization state can change due to interactions with the cavity's walls and other components. This can result in a change in the direction or amplitude of the light's electric field, which determines its polarization.

3. What factors influence the time evolution of polarized cavity?

The time evolution of polarized cavity can be influenced by various factors such as the geometry and material properties of the cavity, the wavelength and intensity of the light passing through, and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment.

4. How is the time evolution of polarized cavity measured?

The time evolution of polarized cavity can be measured using various techniques such as polarimetry, interferometry, and spectroscopy. These methods allow for the detection and analysis of changes in polarization over time in a polarized cavity.

5. What applications does the study of time evolution of polarized cavity have?

The study of time evolution of polarized cavity has various applications in fields such as optics, photonics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to understand and improve the performance of optical devices, as well as to study the behavior of light in complex systems.