Time evolution from zero state

In summary, the state of a single-mode cavity field at time t>0, given an initial state at t=0, is determined by the equation |\Psi(t) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(e^\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}|n \rangle + e^\frac{-iE_{n+1}t}{\hbar}e^{i\phi}|n+1 \rangle), where E_n and E_{n+1} are the energy values for the states |n> and |n+1>, respectively. The common phase factor can be taken out using the property \exp(i\phi) \exp(i\phi')
Confundo

Homework Statement

Suppose the state of a single-mode cavity field is given at time t=0 by

[tex]
|\Psi(0) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|n \rangle + e^{i\phi}|n+1 \rangle)
[/tex]

where phi is some phase. Find the state [tex]|\psi(t)\rangle[/tex] at times t > 0.

Homework Equations

I'm a little confused of what to do with this one, I know that [tex]|n\rangle = \frac{(\hat a^{\dagger})^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|0\rangle[/tex] and think I make have to substitue for the n eigenvalue using that somehow of that somehow and integrate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What equation determines the time evolution of any state in quantum mechanics?

Apply that equation!

The SE.

Just
[tex]
|\Psi(t) \rangle = e^\frac{-iEt}{\hbar}|\Psi(0) \rangle = e^\frac{-iEt}{\hbar}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|n \rangle + e^{i\phi}|n+1 \rangle)
[/tex] ?

No...do the states |n> and |n+1> have the same energy?

[tex]
|\Psi(t) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(e^\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}|n \rangle + e^\frac{-iE_{n+1}t}{\hbar}e^{i\phi}|n+1 \rangle)
[/tex]

yeah...and what are the values of E_n and E_{n+1}?

[tex]E_n = \hbar \omega(n + 0.5) [/tex]
[tex]E_{n+1} = \hbar \omega(n + 1.5) [/tex]

Right, substitute that in your last equation, take a common phase factor out, done.

How does the common phase factor come out?

That follows from [tex] \exp(i\phi) \exp(i\phi')=\exp(i(\phi+\phi')) [/tex]

Related to Time evolution from zero state

1. What is the zero state in time evolution?

The zero state in time evolution refers to the initial state of a system at the beginning of a time interval. It can also be thought of as the starting point for the system's evolution over time.

2. How is time evolution from zero state calculated?

Time evolution from zero state is calculated using a mathematical process known as the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes how a quantum system evolves over time, starting from the initial state at time zero.

3. What factors can affect the time evolution from zero state?

The time evolution from zero state can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the initial conditions of the system, external forces or interactions, and the specific laws of physics that govern the system.

4. Is time evolution from zero state reversible?

In classical physics, time evolution from zero state is considered reversible, meaning that the system can return to its initial state after a certain amount of time has passed. However, in quantum mechanics, this reversibility is not always the case due to the concept of quantum entanglement.

5. What applications does the concept of time evolution from zero state have?

The concept of time evolution from zero state has numerous applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems over time, and is essential in understanding many natural phenomena.