TIme Dilation & Quantum Entanglement Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum entanglement for communication and the theory of relativity. It is concluded that according to quantum mechanics, it is impossible to use quantum entanglement for instantaneous communication. The use of a communication device utilizing quantum entanglement would result in a lag of one hour in the video communication, allowing one brother to see the other aging at a different rate.
alphauser51
Yesterday, my 12 year old nephew asked me a physics question after we watched
a documentary about Einstein and relativity on the science channel. I know just enough
about physics to be dangerous, and I can usually answer his questions but this time he had me stumped, and I couldn't find anything on the net. Here goes.

Twin brothers Harry and Joe bid each other farewell. Joe gets on a spaceship and takes
off on a long voyage at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Harry and Joe also
built an audio/video communications device that utilizes quantum entanglement
and "spooky action at a distance" to allow instantaneous 2 way communication at any distance with no delay. Would they be able to hold a real time conversation with one another. Additionally, if each had a web cams setup and pointed at a clock with a second hand, would the brother on Earth see the second hand moving slower than his own?
Any help or feedback would be appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use quantum entanglement for instantaneous communication even one-way, never mind two-way.

alphauser51 said:
Harry and Joe also
and "spooky action at a distance" to allow instantaneous 2 way communication at any distance with no delay.
As it turns out, it can be proven that according to QM it is impossible to use quantum entanglement for transmitting information FTL, the proof is known as Eberhard's theorem. I posted some other papers discussing Eberhard's theorem in post #22 of this thread. The inference of "spooky action at a distance" has to do with correlations that are seen when you compare measurements on a group of entangled pairs, but if you look at data from a series of particles which each constituted one half of an entangled pair, without seeing the data from measurement of their "twins", it will just look random regardless of what was done to the "twins" far away.

alphauser51 said:
Yesterday, my 12 year old nephew asked me a physics question after we watched
a documentary about Einstein and relativity on the science channel. I know just enough
about physics to be dangerous, and I can usually answer his questions but this time he had me stumped, and I couldn't find anything on the net. Here goes.

Twin brothers Harry and Joe bid each other farewell. Joe gets on a spaceship and takes
off on a long voyage at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Harry and Joe also
and "spooky action at a distance" to allow instantaneous 2 way communication at any distance with no delay. Would they be able to hold a real time conversation with one another. Additionally, if each had a web cams setup and pointed at a clock with a second hand, would the brother on Earth see the second hand moving slower than his own?
Any help or feedback would be appreciated..

they cannot use quantum entanglement, however let's say they are separated by 1 light hour.

thus they can wait an hour to get the other person's signal/video...the video would play...with a lag of 1 hour...

thus they could see the other aging faster/slower...via a video that plays with a lag of 1 hour...

Related to TIme Dilation & Quantum Entanglement Question

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time moves at a different rate for objects in motion. This is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time is not constant and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because of the relationship between space and time. As an object moves faster, its measurement of time slows down in comparison to a stationary observer. This is known as time dilation.

What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This means that any change in one particle will result in an immediate change in the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles are created or interact in such a way that their properties become interdependent. This means that measuring the properties of one particle will instantly determine the properties of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances. This phenomenon is still not fully understood, but it has been proven to exist through various experiments.

What are the potential applications of time dilation and quantum entanglement?

Time dilation and quantum entanglement have many potential applications, including in the fields of quantum computing, secure communication, and timekeeping. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and have implications for space travel and the study of black holes. These phenomena are still being studied and have the potential to lead to new discoveries and technologies in the future.