Time dilation and quantum entanglement.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using quantum entanglement for faster-than-light communication. The expert points out that while entanglement is a concept in relativistic quantum theory, it cannot be used to send data faster than the speed of light. Additionally, the expert clarifies that the concept of "real time" does not exist in relativity. The conversation also mentions the misconception that entanglement can be used for communication and suggests studying a textbook on special relativity for a better understanding.
ArmChairPhysicist
Please forgive any misconceptions or grevious errors, quantum mechanics and relativistic physics is something I read and think about as a hobby and not a career.

My question is this, does the entanglement or two particles transcend time difference?

To expand, let's say we have two communication devices, each of the quantum sort that send data through quantum entanglement.
Device A stays in our current time.
Device B is accelerated to relativistic speeds so that time dilates for Device B relative to real time (device A's time space).
Device B by some means is decelerated.
Would information sent by Device B be received in the past?

A side note, I'm not entirely sure that true time travel is possible and this completely voids my question. I think it's better to think of time dilation as taking a shortcut for the dilated area. Even if we accelerate Device B to relativistic speeds, it's not in the future, it simply spent shortened the perceived travel time for the accelerated device, but it likely won't reach a future date that hasn't happened yet. In writing this I see that my original question would be impossible, but I still want to hear your thoughts on entanglement and time travel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I see that similar questions on this topic have been asked before

ArmChairPhysicist said:
does the entanglement or two particles transcend time difference?

As you seem to realize, the question as you pose it is not well-defined. Here is a well-defined question: Does entanglement work in a relativistic setting? The answer to that is yes: relativistic quantum theory, i.e., quantum field theory, includes entanglement, and it works basically the same as it does in non-relativistic quantum theory.

Here, however, is another well-defined question: Can entanglement be used to send information faster than light? The answer to that is no. In order to use entanglement to send information, people who make measurements on entangled particles have to share their results, and that sharing must be done by ordinary, light-speed limited information channels.

ArmChairPhysicist said:
time dilates for Device B relative to real time

As I pointed out in response to a post of yours in another thread, "real time" does not exist in relativity; time is not absolute. I would recommend working through a good basic textbook on SR, such as Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics.

ArmChairPhysicist said:
let's say we have two communication devices, each of the quantum sort that send data through quantum entanglement
You can't send data through quantum entanglement. Quantum entanglement is more like shared random number generator.
I suppose it is rather popular to abuse the myth that quantum entanglement can be used to send the data in science fiction. After all you have to provide some explanation for fictional FTL device and besides "entanglement" sounds like it's real science, right? :wink:

1. What is time dilation and how does it relate to quantum entanglement?

Time dilation is a concept in physics that describes how time can appear to pass at different rates for different objects or observers. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other. Time dilation and quantum entanglement are related because they both involve the concept of time and how it can be affected by external factors.

2. Can time dilation occur on a small scale, such as with particles?

Yes, time dilation can occur on any scale, including the quantum level. In fact, time dilation is a crucial factor in many quantum phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement. Even at the subatomic level, the effects of time dilation can be observed and measured.

3. How does quantum entanglement allow for instantaneous communication?

Quantum entanglement does not allow for instantaneous communication. While the state of one entangled particle may appear to be affected by the state of the other particle, this does not mean that information is being transmitted between them faster than the speed of light. The effects of quantum entanglement are still limited by the speed of light, and any communication between the particles would still take time.

4. Can time dilation and quantum entanglement be used for time travel?

No, time dilation and quantum entanglement cannot be used for time travel. While these concepts may seem to involve the manipulation of time, they do not allow for traveling back in time. Time travel is still considered to be a theoretical concept and has not been proven possible by any scientific theories or experiments.

5. Are there any real-world applications for time dilation and quantum entanglement?

Yes, there are several potential applications for time dilation and quantum entanglement. In the field of quantum computing, entanglement can be used to create more efficient and secure communication networks. In addition, time dilation is a crucial factor to consider in GPS technology, as the satellites in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speeds. Understanding and utilizing these concepts can also lead to advancements in other areas of science, such as quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography.