Time Constant, Maximum Charge, and Current in an RC Circuit

In summary, the homework statement asks for the time constant, maximum charge, and current in a circuit with a 12V battery, a 5.00µF capacitor, and a 8x105Ω resistor.
vysero

Homework Statement

Untitled.png
[/B]

With a 12V battery, a 5.00µF capacitor and a 8x105Ω resistor determine the following:
a) The time constant of the circuit
b) The maximum charge on the capacitor
c) The maximum current in the circuit
d) The charge on the capacitor as a function of time, q(t)
e) The current in the circuit as a function of time, I(t)
f) The time until the charge on the capacitor is 75% of it’s maximum value

A long time later the capacitor starts fully charged. At this new t=0, starting with a fully charged capacitor, the switch is moved to position b. Determine the following:
g) The charge on the capacitor as a function of time, q(t)
h) The current in the circuit as a function of time, I(t)
i) The time for the capacitor to reach 15% of it’s maximum value

Homework Equations

τ = RC
q = CV
V = IR

Charging:
q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC))
i = (V/R)e^(-t/RC)
V = (q/C) = V(1-e^(-t/RC))

Discharging:
q = qₒe^(-t/RC)
i = -(qₒ/RC)e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) RC = (5x10^-6)(8x10^5) = 4 seconds

b) I am not sure what the question is asking. Obviously it wants the maximum charge but does it want that maximum when t = 0 or at some other point? I said the answer was zero but I am not sure.

c) Once again it depends on the time. Right after t = 0 all the current is on the resistor but before that at t = 0 there is no current in the circuit. So for t = 0 the answer is zero but just after zero say like .01 sec the current is all on the resistor: R = V/I = 12/(8x10^5) = 1.5x10^-5 A.

d) Same problem not sure what time I should be looking at. At t = 0 the answer is zero.
e) At t = 0 it is zero again.

f) Not sure how to do this part.

The next few questions I think will be better if left alone until I get the previous set. Any help would be appreciated, mostly I need to know if what I am assuming the questions are asking is correct. Also, any other help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(b) maximum means at any time, just whenever the maximum occurs

(c) you need to consider time of 0+, as you have

NascentOxygen said:
(b) maximum means at any time, just whenever the maximum occurs

(c) you need to consider time of 0+, as you have

So for b should I be using q = CV so q = (5x10^-6)(12) = 6x10^-5 C? Can I assuming I was correct about d,e both being zero? Still not sure how to do f.

EDIT: An update on part f. I want to say I need to solve for t when .75 = e ^(-t/RC) is this correct? I came up with t = -RCln(.75) = 1.151 sec.

Last edited:
(d) asks for q(t), i.e., how capacitor charge varies as a function of time. It will involve an exponential.

Something similar applies to (e).

(f) You will revise your answer once you get (d) right.

NascentOxygen said:
(d) asks for q(t), i.e., how capacitor charge varies as a function of time. It will involve an exponential.

Something similar applies to (e).

(f) You will revise your answer once you get (d) right.

So for d it asks for q(t) isn't that going to be an equation and not like a number? Is it looking for: q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC))?

vysero said:
So for d it asks for q(t) isn't that going to be an equation and not like a number? Is it looking for: q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC))?
That looks right, and you know values for most of those pronumerals.

NascentOxygen said:

Maybe I am making a math error then because I tried saying t = -RCln(1-(1/CV)
NascentOxygen said:

Okay so solving for t from that equation you get: t = -RCln(1-(q/CV)). At this point do I assuming RC = 4, q = 5x10^-6, and for CV do I use CV(.75)? If I do that I come up with: t = .4711 seconds for f.

Not feeling to confident in my answers atm...

So far I've seen
##\tau = ## 4 sec,
60 ##\mu C##,
15 ##\mu A##,
##q = CV(1-e^{-t/\tau})## (or q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC)) ),
i = (V/R)e^(-t/RC).​

All good. No reason for lack of confidence.

Maybe I am making a math error then because I tried saying t = -RCln(1-(1/CV)
Maybe yes. You have an expression for q(t) and one for qmax.
An easy way to check that it's not the correct expression:
you can only take a logarithm of a number.
So whatever you take the logarithm of, it can not have a dimension (like 1/Coulomb)
same thing for exponential, and things like sine etc. -- where you need an angle, but angles are dimensionless too.​

But you correct yourself a little further down :smile::

t = -RCln(1-(q/CV)) is good.
And you want to know the time when q = 0.75 qmax,
so q/CV = ... ?

And there's a simple check: at t = ##\tau##, q is at 1 - e^{-1} = 63% of qmax, so the correct answer must be more than 4 seconds...

Okay so what I come up with is 5.45 sec for f and 7.59 sec for i. Which I am fairly confident in :D thanks for your help guys. One more thing does voltage work the same way? Like I have an equation for voltage Vc = V(1-e^(-t/RC)). Does that mean that voltage and charge will both take the same amount of time?

Last edited:
For a capacitor, its charge is related to its voltage as: Q = CV
or, more formally, q(t) = C.v(t), where C is a constant here.

So, there's a direct proportionality between v(t) and q(t). Exactly the same waveshape, just with a different scaling factor.

Likes vysero
Well done !

Likes vysero

1. What is an RC circuit capacitor problem?

An RC circuit capacitor problem is a type of circuit problem that involves analyzing the behavior of a circuit with a resistor and a capacitor in series. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to filter and smooth out voltage signals.

2. How do I solve an RC circuit capacitor problem?

To solve an RC circuit capacitor problem, you need to use the principles of Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the current and voltage across the circuit. You can also use differential equations to model the behavior of the capacitor over time.

3. What is the time constant in an RC circuit capacitor problem?

The time constant in an RC circuit capacitor problem is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum value. It is calculated as the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.

4. How does the value of capacitance affect an RC circuit capacitor problem?

The value of capacitance affects an RC circuit capacitor problem by determining the time constant and the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. A higher capacitance will result in a longer time constant and a slower charging or discharging rate, while a lower capacitance will have the opposite effect.

5. What are some common applications of RC circuit capacitor problems?

RC circuit capacitor problems are commonly used in electronic circuits for filtering, smoothing, and time-delay purposes. They are also used in audio equipment, power supplies, and electronic filters.