Time-based differential analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a technique for mining network and system log data for interesting events, and the speaker is seeking a more appropriate term for it. They explain how they have built scheduled jobs to notify them of events that occur outside of a certain time range, with an example being infrequent software installations. The link provided by @Nidum introduces the method of Grubb's test for outliers, which has some similarities to the technique being used but also some differences, such as detecting multiple outliers and working on multivariate datasets.
stoomart
is the fancy term I've been using to describe how I mine various network and system log data for interesting events that I want to be aware of. Since I never pursued a college degree or studied big data analytics, I'm hoping somone can help me identify a more appropriate term to use besides the one above or "rare events", which I don't think captures the essence of what I'm doing.

I have built many scheduled jobs that run anywhere from every 5 minutes to every 24 hours depending on the data and its importance. These jobs will notify me if events occurred since their last run that were not seen in the previous x days (the range depends on the data). One example is to look for infrequent software installations reported by our antivirus clients.

Any ideas what this analysis technique is called?

Technology news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link @Nidum, it is very interesting to learn about the different methods for anomaly detection. It sounds like the closest fit for the method I'm using is Grubb's[/PLAIN] test, with the following differences:

- Any number of outliers can be detected for each iteration, rather than a single outlier.
- Jobs often work on multivariate datasets, rather than univariate datasets.
- Outliers are added to the dataset as "known events" for subsequent iterations, rather than being expunged.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Time-based differential analysis

What is time-based differential analysis?

Time-based differential analysis is a scientific method used to study changes in variables over time. It involves comparing the values of a variable at different points in time to identify patterns and trends.

How is time-based differential analysis used in scientific research?

Time-based differential analysis is commonly used in longitudinal studies, where data is collected from the same subjects at multiple time points. It can also be used in experiments to track changes in variables over time.

What are the benefits of using time-based differential analysis?

Using time-based differential analysis allows researchers to identify patterns and trends that may not be evident when looking at data from a single time point. It also allows for the identification of potential causal relationships between variables.

What are the limitations of time-based differential analysis?

One limitation of time-based differential analysis is that it can be time-consuming and expensive, especially in longitudinal studies. It also relies on the assumption that data is collected at regular intervals, which may not always be the case.

What are some real-world applications of time-based differential analysis?

Time-based differential analysis has many applications in fields such as medicine, economics, and environmental science. It can be used to study disease progression, economic trends, and climate change, among other things.