Time at Big Bang: Exploring Seconds and Relativistic Effects

In summary, during the big bang, time is measured on a clock that is at rest relative to the Hubble flow. This frame is now the rest frame of the CMB radiation and is used to define a congruence of timelike curves, with surfaces t = constant measuring the "time since the big bang." This concept is further explained by Brian Greene in his book "The Hidden Reality Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos," where he discusses the excitement and gratification of discovering and confirming one's thinking in the field of physics.
manulal
I have seen in many books explaining big bang the following kind of expressions..

“In the first few seconds of big bang…”

“In the first few millionth of seconds of big bang..”

Since time is not absolute, what exactly is meant by these “seconds”? Are these seconds same as “our second” – the one defined on the surface of earth.

During big bang, space and matter might be flying in all directions at speeds comparable to that of light (0.5 c, 0.6 c or what ever)

So are these seconds defined by taking relativistic effects into account?

Manulal.

Physics news on Phys.org
The time referred to is the time measured on a clock that is at rest relative to the Hubble flow.

@bcrowell

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

If you don't mind, could you please explain a bit more or suggest a reference?

Manulal.

At every point in spacetime there's a distinguished frame of rest, in which the big bang (or its remnants) looks isotropic. Nowadays this frame is the rest frame of the CMB radiation. You can use this frame to define a congruence of timelike curves, which is what bcrowell means by the Hubble flow. The 3-surfaces orthogonal to these curves are surfaces t = constant, and it's this time coordinate which measures the "time since the big bang." (Sorry, that's an awful formal way of stating it!)

Thank you Bill. Wasn't that difficult to grasp.

Today, I was listening to the third chapter of the audio book “The Hidden Reality Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos” by Brian Greene in my car.

I was amazed when I heard the author asking the audience this same question. He gave a detailed answer too. This latest work by Mr. Greene is really amazing.

manulal said:
Today, I was listening to the third chapter of the audio book “The Hidden Reality Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos” by Brian Greene in my car.

I was amazed when I heard the author asking the audience this same question. He gave a detailed answer too. This latest work by Mr. Greene is really amazing.

I think that is one of the big draws for me to this kinda stuff. I don't care much for the math of physics, but love the "discovery" or "aha" moments it can cause. Having "confirmation" that your thinking is in the right direction is equally gratifying, no matter how many times it was done before the individual experience is no less significant.

nitsuj said:
I think that is one of the big draws for me to this kinda stuff. I don't care much for the math of physics, but love the "discovery" or "aha" moments it can cause. Having "confirmation" that your thinking is in the right direction is equally gratifying, no matter how many times it was done before the individual experience is no less significant.

You are right. Such experiences are so exciting beyond description.

Related to Time at Big Bang: Exploring Seconds and Relativistic Effects

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a cosmological model that explains the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How long ago did the Big Bang occur?

The Big Bang is estimated to have occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the initial expansion of the universe.

3. How long was a second at the moment of the Big Bang?

At the moment of the Big Bang, time was incredibly small and it is difficult to accurately measure. However, based on current theories and calculations, a second at the moment of the Big Bang would have been about 10^-43 seconds long.

4. How do relativistic effects play a role in the time at the Big Bang?

Relativistic effects refer to the changes in time and space as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. At the moment of the Big Bang, the extreme conditions caused by the expansion of the universe would have caused time to dilate, or slow down, compared to what we experience now. This means that time may have passed differently for different observers at the moment of the Big Bang.

5. Can we ever know exactly what happened at the moment of the Big Bang?

While scientists have developed theories and models to explain the Big Bang, it is still a mystery and we may never know exactly what happened at the very beginning of the universe. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping us to better understand the universe and its origins.