Conditions of Big Bang & Light Speed Travel: Exploring Relativity

In summary, the conversation touched upon Einsteins Theory of relativity and the Big Bang. It was mentioned that according to the theory, traveling at the speed of light is impossible and the conditions described at such a speed are not accurate. The Big Bang singularity, where the equations of relativity give up, was also discussed and it was noted that there is a difference between the two situations. The conversation also touched upon the concept of quantum gravity and the limitations of current theories in explaining the origin of the universe.
Ananay Wadehra
According to Einsteins Theory of relativity if an object traveled at the speed of light, it's mass would become infinite, time would seem to stop relative to others and it length would become absolute zero. The same conditions were thought of at the Big Bang, when time didn't seem to have existed ( correct me on this on terms of language ), the density of the universe was infinite and it was all contracted into total profound nothingness. like Everything in nothing.
Do the conditions I seem to be comparing have anything in common, something that mathematically can be worked out from them or is it just anything else ?

p.s. - ( Please keep in mind while answering I'm just in High School )

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Ananay Wadehra said:
According to Einsteins Theory of relativity if an object traveled at the speed of light, it's mass would become infinite, time would seem to stop relative to others and it length would become absolute zero.
None of this is correct, I'm afraid, although it's a popular meme in pop sci presentations. It is, in fact, impossible to travel at the speed of light for anything other than a massless particle; describing what the world would look like when you are doing something impossible (even in principle) is impossible. Why? You always see light traveling at 3x108m/s by definition. If you were traveling at the speed of light it would be traveling at 0m/s relative to you. It can't be doing both...
Ananay Wadehra said:
The same conditions were thought of at the Big Bang, when time didn't seem to have existed ( correct me on this on terms of language ), the density of the universe was infinite and it was all contracted into total profound nothingness. like Everything in nothing.
I don't think this is a great description of the Big Bang, either, although I'll defer to others with more knowledge on that.

However, there is a basic difference between travel at the speed of light (which is explicitly forbidden by relativity) and the Big Bang singularity which is where the equations of relativity give up. Einstein's theory predicts something it cannot describe at the origin of the universe. Opinion here seems to be that a theory of quantum gravity ought to describe the actual origin of the universe better. But we haven't managed to develop one yet...

In short, I don't think the situations have much in common at all, I'm afraid.

Likes Ananay Wadehra and bcrowell
Ananay Wadehra said:
According to Einsteins Theory of relativity if an object traveled at the speed of light, it's mass would become infinite, time would seem to stop relative to others and it length would become absolute zero.
This is simply where the theory reaches the limits of reality. Massive objects are never seen reaching "lightspeed" or appearing infinite, and time never stops for anything!
Ananay Wadehra said:
The same conditions were thought of at the Big Bang
As a "starting point" to arrive at what we see from where we are... very slight adjustments "from the beginning" have tremendous consequences when you get to where "now" would be in the timeline.
Ananay Wadehra said:
Do the conditions I seem to be comparing have anything in common, something that mathematically can be worked out from them or is it just anything else ?
Once you get into special relativity, which is the "high-energy, high-velocity extension" of general relativity, you see how light speed is the "universal" speed limit.

Thanks for the reply
Ibix said:
Welcome to PF.
None of this is correct, I'm afraid, although it's a popular meme in pop sci presentations. It is, in fact, impossible to travel at the speed of light for anything other than a massless particle; describing what the world would look like when you are doing something impossible (even in principle) is impossible. Why? You always see light traveling at 3x108m/s by definition. If you were traveling at the speed of light it would be traveling at 0m/s relative to you. It can't be doing both...
I don't think this is a great description of the Big Bang, either, although I'll defer to others with more knowledge on that.

However, there is a basic difference between travel at the speed of light (which is explicitly forbidden by relativity) and the Big Bang singularity which is where the equations of relativity give up. Einstein's theory predicts something it cannot describe at the origin of the universe. Opinion here seems to be that a theory of quantum gravity ought to describe the actual origin of the universe better. But we haven't managed to develop one yet...

In short, I don't think the situations have much in common at all, I'm afraid.

I was kind of skeptical like comparing apples and oranges, but with a bit of assumption that the laws of science break down during the instance of big bang. Yes, It did seem quite Sci-Fi to me and actually is a lot in reality too. And on the point of Quantum gravity I definitely agree that the model that one ' beautiful ' theory would give should be just enough to answer this silly question too ( i hope i do publish something like that later-on :-) )

jerromyjon said:
This is simply where the theory reaches the limits of reality. Massive objects are never seen reaching "lightspeed" or appearing infinite, and time never stops for anything!

As a "starting point" to arrive at what we see from where we are... very slight adjustments "from the beginning" have tremendous consequences when you get to where "now" would be in the timeline.

Once you get into special relativity, which is the "high-energy, high-velocity extension" of general relativity, you see how light speed is the "universal" speed limit.

Just wondering if those massive objects were the universe itself in a multiverse situation . It's too Sci-Fi to think like this but yes i am lacking some better math for it. Too Sci-Fi for me too.

Related to Conditions of Big Bang & Light Speed Travel: Exploring Relativity

1. What is the Big Bang theory and how does it relate to conditions of the universe?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a hot, dense singularity and has been expanding and cooling over billions of years. The conditions of the universe at the time of the Big Bang were extremely different from what they are now, with incredibly high temperatures and densities. Understanding these conditions is crucial to our understanding of the early universe and its evolution.

2. How does the theory of relativity play a role in understanding the conditions of the Big Bang?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is essential for understanding the conditions of the Big Bang. It describes how gravity and motion work in the universe, and it is crucial for understanding the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravity on the early universe. In particular, the theory of general relativity helps us understand how the universe expanded and cooled after the Big Bang.

3. What is the speed of light and why is it important in the study of the Big Bang?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, representing the maximum speed at which anything can travel. In the study of the Big Bang, the speed of light is crucial because it is used to measure distances and time in the early universe. It also plays a crucial role in understanding how light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as cosmic microwave background radiation, have traveled through the universe since the Big Bang.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase exponentially, making it impossible to accelerate further. This is known as the theory of special relativity, and it has been consistently supported by experiments and observations.

5. How does the study of the conditions of the Big Bang and light speed travel benefit society?

Studying the conditions of the Big Bang and the theory of relativity not only helps us understand the origins and evolution of the universe but also has practical applications in our daily lives. For example, GPS technology relies on the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and distance. Additionally, the study of the early universe can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of fundamental physics, which can have far-reaching effects on society.