TI-89 Differentiation: How to Get Algebraic Derivative and Why Negative Result?

In summary, it is important to make sure that x is not defined as a constant when trying to find the algebraic derivative. Additionally, the calculator should be set to degrees instead of radians for accurate results. If x has been accidentally assigned a value, it can be cleared in the VAR-LINK menu by deleting it from the stored items.
Helicobacter
1. After I launch the "Home" program and enter

d(x^2,x)

The calculator spits out -52.4916, a numerical solution. What I want is the algebraic derivative 2x - how do I get to the algebraic derivative?

2. When I enter sin(60), it gives me -0.304811 as an output. Why does the Ti-89 give a negative result, while the Ti-83 provides me with a positive one?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. The forum search didn't spit out anything.

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. Make sure you don't have x defined as some constant. If you just enter 'x,' what does it return?

2. Make sure the calculator is set for degrees, not radians.

- Warren

chroot said:
1. Make sure you don't have x defined as some constant. If you just enter 'x,' what does it return?

2. Make sure the calculator is set for degrees, not radians.

- Warren

Thank you for your feedback, Warren. You are right, I associated a number with x. How can I make it a variable again?

Helicobacter said:
Thank you for your feedback, Warren. You are right, I associated a number with x. How can I make it a variable again?

I think there's a menu option, I think second then f1, or maybe f5 will give you the option to clear a-z or maybe it's under the var-link think which would be second then "-". The batteries in my 89 are dead so I can't check which one it is, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those.

I have my TI-89 right here, so I'll look. Yep, go to VAR-LINK and scroll down until you see stored items and you should see "x" there. Delete it and you're good!

Related to TI-89 Differentiation: How to Get Algebraic Derivative and Why Negative Result?

1. What is differentiation and why is it important?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it helps in solving real-world problems that involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the slope of a curve, and more.

2. How do I use my TI-89 calculator to find the algebraic derivative?

To find the algebraic derivative using a TI-89 calculator, follow these steps:

1. Enter the function you want to differentiate into the calculator.
  2. Press the "Math" button and select "Calculus" from the menu.
  3. Select the "d/dx" option to differentiate the function with respect to x.
  4. Enter the value of x at which you want to evaluate the derivative.
  5. Press "Enter" to get the algebraic derivative.

3. Can the TI-89 calculator give a negative result for the algebraic derivative?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator can give a negative result for the algebraic derivative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at the given point.

4. What is the difference between numerical and algebraic differentiation?

Numerical differentiation involves using a finite difference formula to approximate the derivative of a function at a point, while algebraic differentiation uses mathematical rules and formulas to find the exact derivative at a point.

5. What are some common applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many applications in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and more. Some common applications include finding maximum and minimum values of a function, determining the slope of a curve, calculating velocity and acceleration, and optimizing processes in business and engineering.