Help with newly installed program on TI-89

• Calculators
  • Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program Ti-89
In summary, the program "LM v1.0" simplifies expressions via minterms and uses the Quine-McCluskey algorithm. It can be used in both SOP and POS modes and requires a string of variables, a list of minterms or maxterms, and optional don't-care terms and mode. When entering the command on the calculator, make sure to be in either EXACT or AUTO mode and refer to the help screen for the syntax. If there is still no output, try contacting the author at simba@mad.scientist.com for further assistance.
sandy.bridge
Is anyone familiar with the program "LM v1.0". It simplifies expressions via minterms. I have downloaded it and installed it on the TI-89, and I can find the program on the calculator. However, when I type in, exactly as the instructions say to, I get no output; that is, it merely displays what I had just typed. Kind of like typing a "2", hitting enter, then the screen displaying "2".

Here are the instructions:
This program generates exact minimal SOP or POS expression from minterm or maxterm lists, using the Quine-McCluskey algorithm.

General syntax: lm(VARS, TERMS, DON'T-CARES, MODE)
VARS: STRING of single-character variable names. e.g. "ABCD"
TERMS: LIST of Minterms (in SOP mode) or Maxterms (in POS mode). e.g {1,3,5,6}
DON'T CARES: (optional) LIST of Don't-care terms
MODE: (optional) 0 for POS mode, 1 for SOP mode (default)

NOTE: the terms must be integers. Therefore, you MUST be in either EXACT or AUTO mode.
If you forget the syntax, execute the program with no arguments: lm() to see the help screen.

Example 1:
f(a,b,c,d) = Σm(4,5,6,7,8) + d(10,11,12,13,14,15)
lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15})
returns "b+ad'"

Example 2:
f(a,b,c,d) = ΠM(4,5,6,7,8) + d(10,11,12,13,14,15)
lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15},0)
returns "(b')(a'+d)"

Now when I even type this exact in my calculator, it doesn't give me an output.

Here is what I type:
"lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15})"

Any ideas? Do I need to "activate" the program or something? Or is there some other area I should be typing this in?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The author's email is simba<at>mad.scientist.com

Related to Help with newly installed program on TI-89

1. How do I install a program on my TI-89 calculator?

To install a program on your TI-89 calculator, first connect your calculator to your computer using a USB cable. Then, download the program file onto your computer and transfer it to your calculator using the TI Connect software. Once the transfer is complete, the program will be installed on your calculator and ready to use.

2. Why is my newly installed program not working on my TI-89 calculator?

There could be several reasons why your newly installed program is not working on your TI-89 calculator. First, make sure that the program is compatible with your calculator model. Also, check that the program file was transferred correctly and is not corrupted. If the program still does not work, try resetting your calculator and reinstalling the program.

3. Can I uninstall a program from my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can uninstall a program from your TI-89 calculator. To do so, go to the Program menu on your calculator, select the program you want to uninstall, and press the F1 key. Then, select "Uninstall" and confirm the action. The program will be removed from your calculator.

4. How can I find and download programs for my TI-89 calculator?

There are several websites where you can find and download programs for your TI-89 calculator, such as ticalc.org and ticalc.net. You can also search for specific programs on search engines like Google. Make sure to only download programs from trusted sources to avoid any potential viruses or malware.

5. Is it possible to customize the programs on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, it is possible to customize the programs on your TI-89 calculator. You can edit the source code of a program using a text editor and then transfer the updated file to your calculator. However, make sure to only make changes if you are familiar with programming and understand the code, as any mistakes can cause the program to not work properly.