Thrust force of a rocket ejecting mass

In summary, the thrust force of a rocket is equal to the velocity of the expelled mass times a constant. This was solved by considering the rocket and exhaust cloud system as a whole and applying Newton's 3rd law.
Emspak

Homework Statement

OK, this seems simple but I want to make sure I am not doing something totally wrong. The problem says: use the conservation of mass of a system of many particles to shoe that the thrust force of a rocket that ejects mass at rate [itex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] is equal to [tex]F=-v_e \frac{dm}{dt}[/tex] where [itex]v_e[/itex] is the velocity of the mass ejected.

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at it this way: momentum is conserved so if we start with mass m of the rocket, mv = k (where k is a constant).

SInce we have a simple differential equation [itex]F=-v_e \frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] it can be integrated as [itex]-m v_e = Ft[/itex]. Taking the derivative w/r/t time we get [itex]-m \frac {d v_e}{dt} = F[/itex]

That gets us the F=ma part of the equation, showing that that works. But I notice that if momentum is a k (constant) then [itex]-m v_e = k = Ft[/itex].

There's a step I am missing here I think. I feel like I am almost there. Any hep -- and anyone telling me I have approached this in entirely the wrong way -- would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum of the rocket is *not* a conserved quantity. What you are missing is that to look at things from the perspective of conservation of momentum you need to look at the rocket+exhaust cloud system.

Another issue is how you look at force. There is a direct connection with the conservation laws if you use ##\vec F=d(m\vec v)/dt##. However, this means force is a frame-dependent quantity if mass is not constant. Force becomes frame invariant if you use ##\vec F = m\vec a##, but now the immediate connection with the conservation laws is lost.

It might help if you look at things from the perspective of an inertial frame that is co-moving with the rocket (i.e., an inertial frame in which the rocket's instantaneous velocity is zero). The F=dp/dt versus F=ma imbroglio vanishes with this choice.

A very simple version, alon DH's reasoning, is the following:

Let us move along with the rocket through a tiny time Dt, in which a little mass Dm has been ejected with a velocity, relative to the rocket, v_e.

That little packet of mass has expreniced a momentum change, what we call an impulse, of Dmv_e

Impulse equals Dt*F, so the little packet of mass experienced the force:

F=v_e*Dm/Dt.

Now, by Newton's 3 law, you'll get the result for the thrust force for the rocket!
---

Likes 1 person
Thanks to you both. I felt like this was a much simpler problem than it looked...

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track! The conservation of momentum is a key concept in understanding the thrust force of a rocket ejecting mass. However, there is one important factor that you have not yet considered: the change in velocity of the rocket due to the ejection of mass.

Let's start with the equation you have derived, -m v_e = k = Ft. This equation is correct, but it only considers the initial momentum of the rocket (mv) and the momentum of the ejected mass (m v_e). What we need to consider is the change in velocity of the rocket as a result of ejecting this mass.

According to Newton's second law, F = ma, where m is the mass of the rocket and a is its acceleration. In this case, the acceleration of the rocket is equal to the change in its velocity over time, or a = \frac{dv}{dt}.

Now, let's combine this with our previous equation, -m v_e = Ft. We can rearrange this to get F = -\frac{m}{t} v_e. Remember, t is the time it takes for the mass to be ejected, so \frac{m}{t} is actually the rate at which mass is being ejected (dm/dt).

Putting it all together, we get F = -v_e \frac{dm}{dt}, which is the desired equation for thrust force. This equation takes into account the change in velocity of the rocket as a result of ejecting mass, making it a more accurate representation of the thrust force.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the problem. Keep up the good work in applying conservation of momentum to solve problems like this!

Related to Thrust force of a rocket ejecting mass

1. What is the thrust force of a rocket ejecting mass?

The thrust force of a rocket is the force that propels the rocket forward. It is generated by the ejection of mass from the rocket's engines at high speeds.

2. How is the thrust force of a rocket calculated?

The thrust force of a rocket is calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass being ejected, and a is the acceleration of the ejected mass.

3. Does the thrust force of a rocket change as it ejects mass?

Yes, as the mass being ejected decreases, the thrust force of the rocket also decreases. This is because there is less mass to accelerate and generate thrust.

4. Can the thrust force of a rocket be controlled?

Yes, the thrust force of a rocket can be controlled by adjusting the rate at which mass is ejected from the rocket's engines. This can be done using various propulsion systems.

5. How does the thrust force of a rocket affect its movement?

The thrust force of a rocket is what enables it to move through the air and overcome the force of gravity. Without thrust, a rocket would not be able to reach escape velocity and enter into orbit or travel through space.