Rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity

In summary, you said that the velocity of the gas ejected from the rocket is in a perpendicular direction to the original velocity of the rocket.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Find the relation between the mass of the rocket (initial mass = M_o) and the angle between the velocity and the initial velocity. The gas is ejected with velocity u with respect to the rocket in a direction perpendicular to rocket's velocity v.
Relevant Equations
That was my approach:
$$P_f - P_i = [(m-dm)(v + dv) + dm(u+v+dv)] - [m(v)]$$
$$= mdv - dmv + dmu + dmv = mdv + dmu = 0$$

Since the variation of the rocket's velocity is perpendicular to itself, $$ dv = v d \theta => m v d \theta + dm u = 0$$

So we have $$\frac{dm}{m} = \frac{-v d \theta}{u}$$

And so, $$M = M_o e^\frac{-v \theta}{u}$$

Is that right? I am afraid that it can be wrong, but i am not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please fix the LaTeX. We cannot read the bottom line.

kuruman said:
Please fix the LaTeX. We cannot read the bottom line.
I am not sure where should i fix. In my pc everything is right:
latex.png

I am not sure at all in what I am going to say but I think the rocket's initial component of velocity (say ##\vec{V_{0y}}##will remain unchanged, and all you have to do is calculate the other perpendicular component ##\vec{V_x}## (setting as ##V_{0x}=0##) and then vector add the two components ##V_x,V_{0y}## as being perpendicular to each other to get the final velocity ##\vec{V}=\vec{V_x}+\vec{V_{0y}}##.

Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: Find the relation between the mass of the rocket (initial mass = M_o) and the angle between the velocity and the initial velocity. The gas is ejected with velocity u with respect to the rocket in a direction perpendicular to rocket's velocity v.
Relevant Equations:: .

That was my approach:
$$P_f - P_i = [(m-dm)(v + dv) + dm(u+v+dv)] - [m(v)]$$
$$= mdv - dmv + dmu + dmv = mdv + dmu = 0$$

Since the variation of the rocket's velocity is perpendicular to itself, $$ dv = v d \theta => m v d \theta + dm u = 0$$

So we have $$\frac{dm}{m} = \frac{-v d \theta}{u}$$

And so, $$M = M_o e^\frac{-v \theta}{u}$$

Is that right? I am afraid that it can be wrong, but i am not sure why.
You could motivate your treatment in a better way. For example, don’t use ##dv## because the change in the speed ##v## is zero so ##dv=0## by construction. Instead, use reasoning to say that you are taking the component of ##d\vec v## perpendicular to ##\vec v##.

Apart from that, it looks reasonable.

Delta2 said:
I am not sure at all in what I am going to say but I think the rocket's initial component of velocity (say ##\vec{V_{0y}}##will remain unchanged, and all you have to do is calculate the other perpendicular component ##\vec{V_x}## (setting as ##V_{0x}=0##) and then vector add the two components ##V_x,V_{0y}## as being perpendicular to each other to get the final velocity ##\vec{V}=\vec{V_x}+\vec{V_{0y}}##.
If this were the case, the exhaust would need to be perpendicular to the original direction of motion, not the current direction of motion (they are the same only at the beginning).

Likes LCSphysicist and Delta2
Orodruin said:
If this were the case, the exhaust would need to be perpendicular to the original direction of motion, not the current direction of motion (they are the same only at the beginning).
Thanks, I now understand my faulty reasoning.

Herculi said:
I am not sure where should i fix. In my pc everything is right:
It is fixed now, thanks. I could see all the LaTeX lines except for the last, but now I see them all.

1. What is rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity?

Rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity is a propulsion technique used by rockets to change their direction or trajectory. It involves ejecting a mass of gas or particles in a direction perpendicular to the rocket's velocity, which creates a reactive force that propels the rocket in the opposite direction.

2. How does rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity work?

The principle behind rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity is based on Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The ejected mass of gas or particles creates a reaction force that propels the rocket in the opposite direction.

3. What are the advantages of rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity?

Rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity allows for precise control of the rocket's direction and trajectory. It also allows for efficient use of fuel and can help conserve energy by reducing the amount of fuel needed for course corrections.

4. Are there any limitations to rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity?

One limitation of this propulsion technique is that it can only be used in a vacuum or in space, as the ejected mass needs to have a clear path to travel in the opposite direction. Additionally, it may not be suitable for large-scale propulsion due to the amount of energy and fuel required.

5. What other applications can rocket ejecting mass in a direction perpendicular to its velocity be used for?

In addition to rocket propulsion, this technique can also be used in other applications such as satellite attitude control, where small amounts of gas are ejected to adjust the orientation of the satellite. It can also be used in spacecraft docking or rendezvous maneuvers to adjust the relative position and speed of two objects in space.