Throwing a Ball and determining possible angles.

In summary, the equation you used is telling you that launching the ball at 10 some degrees will ensure the ball is back at 1.25 meters when the x distance is 15 meters. So the initial height here is important.
CGI
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
A man throws a ball horizontally with an initial speed of 20 m/s. Determine the two possible angles theta 1 and theta 2 of release so that the ball strikes point B. The distance between the man and point B is 15 meters. The initial height of the ball is 1.25 meters.

Answer:
Theta 1 = 5.8 Degrees
Theta 2 = 79.4 Degrees

I know the answer, but I'm not sure how to get there. I thought about the range equation, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Any help would be much appreciated!

What I have so far:

15 = 20cos(Θ)t so, t = 15/(20cosΘ)

Attachments

• 20160115_193914.jpg
    20160115_193914.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
CGI said:
A man throws a ball horizontally with an initial speed of 20 m/s. Determine the two possible angles theta 1 and theta 2 of release so that the ball strikes point B. The distance between the man and point B is 15 meters. The initial height of the ball is 1.25 meters.

Answer:
Theta 1 = 5.8 Degrees
Theta 2 = 79.4 Degrees

I know the answer, but I'm not sure how to get there. I thought about the range equation, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Any help would be much appreciated!

What I have so far:

15 = 20cos(Θ)t so, t = 15/(20cosΘ)

Is the 20 m/s only in the x direction, or is it the total velocity? The way you wrote it makes me think it's the first, the picture makes me think it might be the second.

I'm sorry, I meant that the 20 m/s was the total velocity

CGI said:
I'm sorry, I meant that the 20 m/s was the total velocity

Okay, what's wrong with the range equation? Why do you think it isn't going to work?

So when I try the range equation, I don't get the right answer.
I tried:

15 = (20)^2sin(2theta)/g

And I get that theta = 10.79°

CGI said:
So when I try the range equation, I don't get the right answer.
I tried:

15 = (20)^2sin(2theta)/g

And I get that theta = 10.79°

Why doesn't it work though? What piece of information is being left out?

I'm thinking the initial height is what's left, but I'm not sure how I would use that. I did think about how when the ball reaches point B, the height will equal 0.

Likes Student100
CGI said:
I'm thinking the initial height is what's left, but I'm not sure how I would use that. I did think about how when the ball reaches point B, the height will equal 0.

Yes, the equation you used is telling you that launching the ball at 10 some degrees will ensure the ball is back at 1.25 meters when the x distance is 15 meters. So the initial height here is important. Do you know another way to find the distance of landing that takes into account the initial height of launch?

Would I use the height of a projectile equation?

h = initial height + (Vo)^2sin^2(theta)/2g

And set height equal to zero and solve for theta? Or would that still be incorrect?

CGI said:
Would I use the height of a projectile equation?

h = initial height + (Vo)^2sin^2(theta)/2g

And set height equal to zero and solve for theta? Or would that still be incorrect?

Have you ever seen the derivation for: $$\theta = tan^{-1}(\frac{v^2 \pm \sqrt{v^4 - g(gx^2+2yv^2)}}{gx})$$

Oh, I've never actually seen that before. What is that equation called? And how does one use it?

CGI said:
Oh, I've never actually seen that before. What is that equation called? And how does one use it?

x and y are your target coordinates, in your case, x = 15 and y = -1.25. The ##\pm## will give you both angles, and your answer. Answer isn't important, let's look at what we're actually doing.

First at how to derive it: start with your two kinematic equations for x and y in relation to simple projectile motion when x and y equal 0: $$ x = vtcos(\theta)$$ $$y = vtsin(\theta) -\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

Solve x for time and sub into y.

Wow! Okay that makes a lot of sense and I actually got the right answer. Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Throwing a Ball and determining possible angles.

1. How do you determine the optimal angle to throw a ball?

To determine the optimal angle to throw a ball, you need to consider the initial velocity, the distance you want the ball to travel, and the effects of gravity. Using mathematical equations and physics principles, you can calculate the angle that will result in the longest distance for the ball.

2. Does the weight of the ball affect the possible throwing angles?

Yes, the weight of the ball does affect the possible throwing angles. A heavier ball will require more force to be thrown at the same angle as a lighter ball. This is because the weight of the ball will affect its initial velocity and how it is affected by gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the possible throwing angles?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the possible throwing angles by slowing down the ball as it travels through the air. This can cause the ball to not travel as far or to fall at a steeper angle. In order to minimize the effects of air resistance, it is important to throw the ball with enough force and to use a streamlined object.

4. Can the surface that the ball is thrown on affect the possible throwing angles?

Yes, the surface that the ball is thrown on can affect the possible throwing angles. Different surfaces, such as grass, concrete, or sand, can create different amounts of friction and resistance for the ball. This can impact the angle at which the ball bounces or rolls and, therefore, the optimal throwing angle.

5. Is there a limit to the possible throwing angles?

Yes, there is a limit to the possible throwing angles. This is because the angle at which the ball is thrown is affected by various factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, and gravity. There is a maximum angle that will result in the longest distance for the ball, and throwing at a higher angle may result in the ball not traveling as far.