Throttling Strategy for Steam Process

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a boiler is generating steam at 23.5 bar gauge pressure which is then throttled down to 12 bar for import/export, 3 bar for the heat exchanger, and 0.20 bar for the deaerator. The idea of throttling the steam from 3 bar directly to 0.20 bar is brought up as a potential way to reduce costs and improve profitability. However, it is noted that this would require a cost analysis and may result in the need for larger pipe sizes.
piyush007
ohk, let me make it more clear for you,
the situation is we have a boiler generating steam at 23.5 barg, which is throtlled down to 12 barg for import/ export, this 23.5 barg steam is throttled down to 3 barg by another valve to use in heat exchanger, and then this 23.5 barg steam is throttled down to 0.20 barg to use in deareator by another valve, so i was thinking if we have a a system such that we throttled down 3 barg steam to 0.20 barg steam, then that would be beneficial as in, the pipeline will need less permissible safe wroking pressure, less heat losses due to radiation, no need of high pressure valves for throttling etc.
But then to make a new pipeline will require cost analysis, and hence i wanted to know what calculation can i do to prove that throttling 3barg to 0.2 barg will be beneficial in terms of profitability.

Not sure if I can help you in any meaningful way here, but let me try rewording this so I understand it myself:

You have a boiler that is generating steam at 23.5 bar gauge pressure. You currently have three separate valves permitting steam to escape the boiler.

One valve feeds the import/export line (12 bar gauge)
One valve feeds the heat exchanger (3 bar gauge)
One valve feeds the deaerator (.2 bar gauge)

So are you considering feeding the deaerator using the steam flowing into the heat exchanger?

The pipe sizes are based on flow requirements (mass per unit time or volume at pressure per unit time), not the pressure at the point. At the pressures you note, all the piping would be standard, low pressure. But if lower pressure steam is run to other points, the pipe size may have to increase.

Related to Throttling Strategy for Steam Process

1. What is throttling strategy for steam process?

Throttling strategy for steam process is a technique used in thermodynamics to control the amount of steam flow in a system. It involves reducing the pressure of the steam by passing it through a valve, which results in a decrease in temperature and an increase in volume.

2. Why is throttling strategy important for steam processes?

Throttling strategy is important for steam processes because it allows for precise control of the steam flow, which is crucial for maintaining the desired temperature and pressure in a system. It also helps to prevent damage to equipment and ensures efficient use of steam.

3. What are the different types of throttling strategies?

The two main types of throttling strategies for steam processes are isenthalpic and isentropic throttling. In isenthalpic throttling, the enthalpy of the steam remains constant, while in isentropic throttling, the entropy remains constant. Other strategies include multistage throttling and feedwater throttling.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a throttling strategy?

The factors that should be considered when choosing a throttling strategy for a steam process include the desired pressure and temperature of the system, the properties of the steam, the type of equipment being used, and the level of control and efficiency required.

5. Can throttling cause any negative effects on the system?

Yes, throttling can cause negative effects on a steam system if not done properly. It can result in a decrease in efficiency, increased wear and tear on equipment, and potential damage to the system. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the appropriate throttling strategy and implement it correctly.