Three dimensional Lie algebra L with dim L' = 1

In summary: The center of ##\mathfrak{g}## is the kernel of the projection from ##\mathfrak{g}## to its Abelianization.The new basis is constructed to make the three Lie brackets in the summary zero. This is always possible if you have a basis of a Lie algebra. You can use this to show that the new basis spans the Lie algebra and that the two dimensional part of the direct sum is the center. This is done in the pdf you linked.
valtz
Now suppose the derived algebra has dimension 1. Then there exits some non-zero [itex]X_{1} \in g[/itex] such that [itex]L' = span{X_{1}}[/itex]. Extend this to a basis [itex]{X_{1};X_{2};X_{3}}[/itex] for g. Then there exist scalars$\alpha, \beta , \gamma \in R (not all zero) such that
[itex][X_{1},X_{2}] = \alpha X_{1}[/itex]
[itex][X_{1},X_{3}] = \beta X_{1}[/itex]
[itex][X_{2},X_{3}] = \gamma X_{1}[/itex]
Suppose ##\alpha \neq 0##. Then construct a new basis, as follows:
[itex]e_{1} = X_{1}[/itex]
[itex]e_{2} = \frac{1}{\alpha} X_{2}[/itex]
[itex]e_{3} = \alpha X_{3} - \beta X_{2} + \gamma X_{1}[/itex]
Since ##\alpha \neq 0##, by assumption, this is a basis for the Lie algebra g. Let us
calculate the Lie brackets for this basis:
[itex][e_{1},e_{2}] = e_{1}[/itex]
[itex][e_{1},e_{2}] = 0[/itex]
[itex][e_{1},e_{2}] = 0[/itex]
This Lie algebra is seen to be the direct sum of two Lie algebras, two dimensional non abelian lie algebra [itex]\oplus[/itex] 1 dimensional lie algebra

i get this from pdf in internet , i want to ask, how can that be the direct sum of two lie algebra , two dimensional non abelian lie algebra [itex]\oplus[/itex] 1 dimensional lie algebra

what use from construct new basis here? what can we see from construct new basis here?
i'm sorry before, please give me a detail explanation, because my essay is about lie algebra. so I'm a little new about lie algebra

source pdf where i get : http://math.ucsd.edu/~abowers/downloads/survey/3d_Lie_alg_classify.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have the Heisenberg algebra spanned by ##\{\,e_1,e_2,e_3\,\}## here. It is ##\mathfrak{g}= \mathfrak{Z(g)} \oplus [\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]##. Since both, center and derived Lie algebra are ideals, it is a direct sum of Lie algebras, not only vector spaces. The two dimensional part, the center ##\mathfrak{Z(g)}=\langle e_2,e_3 \rangle## is Abelian.

Another way to see it is to observe that ##\mathfrak{g}/[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]## is always Abelian. Since ##[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]## is one dimensional and ##\mathfrak{g}## three dimensional, ##\mathfrak{g}/[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]## is two dimensional and Abelian.

Related to Three dimensional Lie algebra L with dim L' = 1

1. What is a three dimensional Lie algebra?

A three dimensional Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a three-dimensional vector space equipped with a binary operation called the Lie bracket. This operation measures the extent to which two elements of the vector space fail to commute with each other.

2. What does it mean for L' to have a dimension of 1?

The dimension of L' refers to the number of elements in the derived subalgebra of L. In this case, a dimension of 1 means that L' is a one-dimensional vector space. This indicates that the elements of L' can be expressed as linear combinations of a single basis element.

3. How is the Lie bracket operation defined in a three dimensional Lie algebra?

The Lie bracket operation in a three dimensional Lie algebra is defined as the cross product of two elements of the vector space. This operation takes in two elements and outputs a third element, which is a measure of the extent to which the two input elements fail to commute with each other.

4. What is the significance of having a one-dimensional derived subalgebra in a Lie algebra?

A one-dimensional derived subalgebra in a Lie algebra indicates that the Lie algebra is not very complex and does not have many non-commuting elements. This can be useful in simplifying calculations and understanding the structure of the Lie algebra.

5. How is a three dimensional Lie algebra used in scientific research?

Three dimensional Lie algebras have many applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems, as well as to model and analyze complex systems. Additionally, they have applications in coding theory, signal processing, and robotics.