Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem

In summary, there are three smooth stones on an ice field with masses of 0.800kg, 0.600kg, and 0.250kg. An explosion causes them to fly apart, with stone A moving due North with a velocity of 2.40 ms-1 and stone B moving due East with a velocity of 3.60 ms-1. The task is to calculate the speed and direction of stone C, as well as all the forces acting on stone A. Using the equations for momentum, kinetic energy, and friction, along with the given information, a velocity of 16.5880 ms-1 at an angle of -128.295˚ (SW) is calculated for stone C
ford666

Homework Statement

There are three smooth stones in contact with each other at rest on an ice field (coefficient of sliding friction=0.0250). Their masses are: A = 0.800kg, B = 0.600kg and C = 0.250kg. An explosion causes them to fly apart. 'A' moves Due North with a Velocity = 2.40 ms-1, 'B' moves Due East with a Velocity = 3.60 ms-1 .

Calculate speed & direction of stone C.
Show all forces acting on Stone A

Homework Equations

I can't find an equation which combines momentum and coefficient of friction.

Fr = coefficient of sliding Friction x N
P =mv, KE = 1/2 mv2
F = ma

The attempt at a solution
I thought this was a simple momentum problem, apart from finding the direction of C, but the addition of the coefficient of friction has thrown me. I don't have a time scale so I can't use Force vectors as I can't get the accelerations. Please help, how do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate Velocity of Stone C

Known Information:

M a = 0.800 kg
M b = 0.600 kg
M c = 0.250 kg
V a = 2.40 ms-1
V b = 3.60 ms-1
V c = ?

KE = ½ MV2; P = MV

P a = M a V a P b = M b V b P c = M c V c

M c V c = √ (M a V a )2 (M b V b)2

V c = √ (M a V a )2 (M b V b)2 / M c

V c = √(0.800 kg x 2.40 ms-1)2 x (0.600 kg x 3.60 ms-1)2 / 0.250 kg

V c = √3.6864 x 4.6656 kg ms-1 / 0.250 kg

V c = √17.19927 / 0.250 kg

V c = 4.1472 / 0.250 = 16.5880 ms-1

Calculating Direction:

Tan θ˚ = P b
P a

Tan θ˚ = 3.6864

Tan θ˚ = 0.81834

θ˚ = -38.295˚ with respect to x-axis.

Velocity & Direction of C = 16.5880 ms-1 @ -128.295˚ (SW)

Is this the correct method?

(b)
Calculating Energies

KEexp = KEa + KEb + KEc

KEexp = ½ M a V a2 + ½ M b V b2 + ½ M c V c2

KEexp = ½ x 0.800 kg x (2.40)2 + ½ 0.600 kg x (3.60)2 + ½ x 0.250 kg x (16.5880)2

KEexp = 2.304 + 3.888 + 33.162 J

KEexp = 39.3543 J

Etotal = KEexp x 10

Etotal = 393.543 J

Etotal = 394 J to 3 significant figures.

(c)

Forces acting on Stone A:

Force of Explosion – Kinetic Energy transferred to Stone producing Velocity 16.5880 ms-1 -128.295˚ (SW). Force of Friction of Stone on Ice working against the direction of motion. Weight of the Stone on the ice (M c g) in the direction of gravity. After initial velocity speed reduces to zero over time (t). Distance traveled by stone = | V | x (t).

How do I calculate the Distance without the (t) s.

Related to Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem

1. What is the "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem"?

The "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem" is a mathematical and physical problem that involves three particles in a 2-dimensional space. The particles are initially at rest and then experience an explosion, causing them to move in different directions. The problem also takes into account the effects of friction on the movement of the particles.

2. What are the main challenges of solving the "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem"?

One of the main challenges of solving this problem is the complexity of the equations involved. The problem requires the use of differential equations and integration to find the solutions. Additionally, the introduction of friction adds another layer of complexity to the problem.

3. How is the "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem" relevant to real-world situations?

This problem has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be used to model the behavior of particles in explosions and collisions, as well as the motion of celestial bodies in space.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made when solving the "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem"?

Yes, there are some simplifications and assumptions that are typically made when solving this problem. One common assumption is that the particles are point masses with no size or shape. Additionally, the problem often assumes that the friction force is proportional to the velocity of the particle.

5. What are some techniques or methods for solving the "Three Body 2D Explosion with Friction Problem"?

There are various techniques and methods for solving this problem, including numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, and analytical methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. Additionally, computer simulations can also be used to solve this problem.