Threats to the US: Past and present

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: As a child, I was taught to worry about the Soviet Union and the nuclear threat it posed. However, I never imagined that I would live in a world where we are actually fighting a war on terror. In summary, David Brook discusses the similarities and differences between the Vietnam War and the current war in Iraq. He points out that the North Vietnamese were not coming to America and that the situation is different.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A recurring theme of this "war on terror" - that we have never faced a threat like this before - is found in David Brook's comments on PBS last night. The comparison between Vietnam and Iraq was considered, which led to the following statement:

... DAVID BROOKS: Right, I guess so, but, again, it doesn't change the fundamental situation. We could get out and withdraw, and the North Vietnamese were not coming to America. And that's the difference here. ...
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec06/sb_10-20.html

WRONG! We fought in Vietnam, or so we were told, in order to stop the spread of communism via the "domino effect". The Reds were coming to get us!

The domino theory was a 20th Century foreign policy theory that speculated if one land in a region came under the influence of Communists, then more would follow in a domino effect. The domino effect indicates that some change, small in itself, will cause a similar change nearby, which then will cause another similar change, and so on in linear sequence, by analogy to a falling row of dominoes standing on end.

The theory was used by many United States leaders during the Cold War to justify U.S. intervention in the Vietnam War. The domino theory was applied by President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his top advisers in 1954 to describe the prospects of communist expansion in Asia if Indochina were to fall. Eisenhower argued that all of southeast Asia could fall. The theory's ultimate validity remained mixed, and debatable. After the U.S. left Vietnam, the North took over the South, and Cambodia and Laos had also turned to Communism, although Cambodia is no longer a communist state. This limited spread of Communism in Indochina provides ammunition for opponents of the theory, but both sides argue that the historical record overall supports their position.

In the 1980s, the domino theory was used again to justify the Reagan administration's interventions in Central America and the Caribbean region.[continued]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_effect

The world has always been hanging by a thread. When I grew up, we practiced hiding under our desks... in order to survive the ever present threat of a Soviet nuclear attack.

They were really strong desks. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
When I grew up, we practiced hiding under our desks... in order to survive the ever present threat of a Soviet nuclear attack.

They were really strong desks. :rolleyes:
:smile: I was introduced to that custom in 4th grade when I moved to the US. In 3rd grade, I had read an article on the hydrogen bomb and its effects on a major metropolitan area. I guessed the teachers didn't appreciate my questioning the wisdom (or rather absurdity) of what we were doing in the CD drills.

In 6th grade, I was assigned to the school safety patrol. I was one of 8 students whose job it was to monitor the halls during fire drills and hold flags at the cross-walks so the lower grades could cross safely. :biggrin:

We had the duck and cover drills, too, though nothing could have saved us if the Russians wanted to bomb us. Our school was about 1/10 mile downstream from a very high-value target - a large hydro dam with a deep 15-mile impoundment that would have drowned downstream cities, including two county seats and the state capital. If you use Google Earth or similar and search on Moscow, Maine you can see what I mean.

Related to Threats to the US: Past and present

What are the biggest threats to the US currently?

The biggest threats to the US currently are cyber attacks, terrorism, and nuclear weapons. Cyber attacks can disrupt essential systems and steal sensitive information, while terrorism can cause physical harm and fear. The threat of nuclear weapons is a constant concern due to the potential for mass destruction.

How have threats to the US changed over time?

Threats to the US have evolved over time. In the past, threats often came from other countries or foreign powers. Today, threats can also come from non-state actors, such as terrorist groups. Additionally, technological advancements have created new threats, such as cyber attacks, that were not prevalent in the past.

What role has the US played in contributing to threats against itself?

The US has played a role in contributing to threats against itself in various ways. For example, the country's foreign policies and interventions in other countries can lead to resentment and acts of terrorism. Additionally, the US's reliance on technology and interconnected systems has made it more vulnerable to cyber attacks.

How does the US government address threats to the country?

The US government has various agencies and departments dedicated to addressing threats to the country. These include the Department of Homeland Security, which works to prevent and respond to terrorist attacks, and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which works to protect against cyber attacks. The government also has intelligence agencies that gather information on potential threats and work to mitigate them.

What can individuals do to protect themselves and the country from threats?

Individuals can take steps to protect themselves and the country from threats by staying informed and aware of potential risks. This can include staying updated on current events, being vigilant for suspicious activities, and following safety protocols in case of an emergency. Additionally, individuals can support and participate in efforts to strengthen national security, such as supporting legislation and policies that address threats.