Thread Rating Voting: Can Non-Mods Vote?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability to vote on threads and the confusion surrounding who has access to this feature. Some users mention that they can vote on threads without being contributors, while others state that only contributors have access to this feature. The conversation also includes some banter about the contributor status and the various terms used for people living in different regions of Norway.
Mk
One time I voted on a thread, I don't know how I did it, but I did. Is it that only super-mentors and moderators can vote on a thread? And it was a strange techical mistake that one time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
And it was a strange techical mistake that one time?
Bartholomew

You can vote on the thread using the "rate thread button", I don't think you can rtae your own thrad though.

I do not spot any rate thread button.

Evo said:
You can vote on the thread using the "rate thread button", I don't think you can rtae your own thrad though.

This button is where?

On the first page of the thread, right at the top of the first post, look to the far right. (Maybe look for it on a thread you didn't start in case it won't let you see it on your own thread.)

Edit: Better yet, I'll show you!

http://img282.echo.cx/img282/9532/ratethread5ht.jpg

Last edited:
It's down below: Rate This Thread. I can't work it either. I think you may have to be a contributor to have the privilege of using it.

It doesn't even appear on mine.

Yay! Moonbear uses Safari... on Mac OS X Panther I'm guessing?

Mk said:
It doesn't even appear on mine.
Hmm...must be something only contributors have access to? Seems odd that only contributors can rate threads. :confused:

Yay! Moonbear uses Safari... on Mac OS X Panther I'm guessing?
I never remember the animal names...10.3 :biggrin: I love it!

Oh, noooooooo. I have turned yellow...

I became a contibutor to see if I could access the thread rating. I can, it let's me vote, but now I am YELLOW

zoobyshoe said:
I became a contibutor to see if I could access the thread rating. I can, it let's me vote, but now I am YELLOW
:smile: Don't worry, it's just a touch of jaundice. It goes away in about a year, unless you did that 6 year subscription thing. :biggrin:

Well, who knew that the ability to rate threads would be the magic feature that convinced people to become contributors! Here I thought it was the ad-free viewing!

I gave this thread a 5 but don't see the 5 stars. Vote it a 5, moombear, let's see what happens.

zoobyshoe said:
Oh, noooooooo. I have turned yellow...
About time you started earning your keep around here. :-p

Yellow is not a good look for me, and filling out the form was a royal pain. However, now I have superpowers.

Well, I can use the rating option without contributor status.

arildno said:
Did you actually try it? I bet it won't work for you.

Yes I did; the thread has now 5 stars.
In addition, if I try to rate it again, I get the bulletin message:

According to our records you have already voted on this thread. Changing votes is not allowed.

So, I guess all it takes is two people to declare a thread a 5 star thread.

zoobyshoe said:
Yellow is not a good look for me, and filling out the form was a royal pain. However, now I have superpowers.
What form? I just sent 'em $25 and turned yellow.

zoobyshoe said:
Did you actually try it? I bet it won't work for you.
Check his other credentials, Zoob. I think he outranks us. He is, after all, the official Norweed-in-residence. :-p

It's "Norwayan", not "Norweed."

zoobyshoe said:
You'll have to take that up with Evo. I don't start 'em; I just steal 'em.

Danger said:
You'll have to take that up with Evo. I don't start 'em; I just steal 'em.
You don't take responsibility for your own thefts? I guess there's no honor among thieves.

arildno said:

How? Its not where moonbear showed it in her screenshot.

franznietzsche said:
Toss in your quarter of a bill and find out.

franznietzsche said:
Try scrolling to the bottom, then go up a little bit, and lookfor the "Rate This Thread" button.

zoobyshoe said:
Try scrolling to the bottom, then go up a little bit, and lookfor the "Rate This Thread" button.
Hush, you! I'm trying to get the little bugger to pay up.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm an Eastlander, actually.
(To be even more precise, I'm a Bæring living in Oslo)

arildno said:
I'm an Eastlander, actually
Eastling

A boring Oslovian.

arildno said:
I'm an Eastlander, actually.
Damn! I thought you were asleep.

Easterling, if you please.

"A boring Oslovian." Quite so.

arildno said:
Easterling, if you please.
Or Easternian
"A boring Oslovian." Quite so.
Oslonese, maybe.

Bæring. Bæring. I can write it, but I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Lengthen the vowel in words like "cap,flap", and insert that vowel in between "B" and "ring"

Related to Thread Rating Voting: Can Non-Mods Vote?

1. Can non-mods vote on thread ratings?

Yes, non-mods can vote on thread ratings. The ability to vote on thread ratings is not limited to moderators only.

2. How do non-mods vote on thread ratings?

Non-mods can vote on thread ratings by clicking on the rating options (usually represented by stars or numbers) located next to the thread title or within the thread itself. This will bring up a drop-down menu or a pop-up window where they can select their desired rating.

3. Is there a limit to the number of times non-mods can vote on thread ratings?

There is typically no limit to the number of times non-mods can vote on thread ratings. However, some forums or platforms may have restrictions in place to prevent spamming or manipulation of ratings.

4. Can non-mods change their vote on thread ratings?

It depends on the platform or forum. Some may allow non-mods to change their vote on thread ratings, while others may not have this feature. It is best to check the specific guidelines or instructions for the particular platform or forum.

5. Do non-mod votes count the same as mod votes on thread ratings?

Yes, non-mod votes count the same as mod votes on thread ratings. Each vote carries equal weight, regardless of whether it is from a moderator or a regular user.