Thoughts on a second degree in Electronic Engineering

In summary, the author is undecided about pursuing an engineering degree or staying with physics. He believes that it is a small investment of time to pursue an engineering degree, but he is also eager to find a job. He likes the content of the EE courses he has taken and is less concerned about the material than the job prospects.
Carlos_Monty
Hi all,

I am in the process of wrapping up my degree in Applied Physics with emphasis in electronics. The program has required me to take several courses from the electronic engineering department, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I have done some planning, and it will take me one extra year to complete a degree in Electronic Engineering once I am finished in physics.

I am seeking opinions on whether or not to go for the engineering degree or, just settle with the physics. To me, it seems like a small investment of my time to get the engineering degree, but I am also eager to just find a job and get some experience. I'm not sure if it will prove beneficial, or if it would just be redundant to get the engineering designation. This post is aimed at those who have some industry experience in engineering and physics, not speculators. Let me know what you think. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went for an EE masters directly after my physics BS. I didn't like it, personally. Engineers are interested in different questions using the same material. I feel somehow at my school, the physics teachers were a lot better too.

One of the large problems was that my decision was based on money, not interest. Bad decision.

Anyway, I ended up designing my own degree in computational neuroscience instead.

Still not sure what route I'll I for PhD. Maybe more biology, maybe more compute science.

Pythagorean said:
One of the large problems was that my decision was based on money, not interest. Bad decision.

Hi Pythagorean. When you say that your decision was motivated by money, do you mean that you pursued EE to make yourself more employable? If so, did you find that your job landscape was broadened with the EE designation?

Based on the 10 EE courses I've taken, I already know that I like it. I am less concerened about the content and more about the job prospects I will have. When I look around at Canadian job postings, it seems everyone wants engineers and technologists with professional certification. I worry that a professional physicist will be overlooked in many instances.

Related to Thoughts on a second degree in Electronic Engineering

What is Electronic Engineering?

Electronic Engineering is a discipline that focuses on the design, development, and testing of electronic devices and systems. It involves using principles of physics and mathematics to create efficient and effective electronic systems.

What are the benefits of pursuing a second degree in Electronic Engineering?

A second degree in Electronic Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities, as it is a highly in-demand field. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the subject and enhance problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What are the prerequisites for a second degree in Electronic Engineering?

The prerequisites for a second degree in Electronic Engineering may vary depending on the institution, but generally include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Some programs may also require prior coursework in engineering or relevant work experience.

What can I expect to learn in a second degree program in Electronic Engineering?

In a second degree program in Electronic Engineering, you can expect to learn about circuit design, digital systems, computer architecture, programming, and other advanced topics in electronics. You may also have the opportunity to work on hands-on projects and gain practical experience.

Is a second degree in Electronic Engineering worth the time and investment?

Pursuing a second degree in Electronic Engineering can be a worthwhile investment, as it can lead to a rewarding and high-paying career in a rapidly advancing field. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and financial commitment required before making a decision.