Thought About Old Flak Cannons/AA Guns

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
In summary: If you hit something with a BB sized ball, it will cause damage. If you hit something with a marble sized ball, it will cause more damage. If you hit something with a golf ball sized ball, it will cause catastrophic damage. So, in principle, the bigger the particle, the more damage it will cause.In summary, flak cannon shells shot into the air and then exploded, showering the area below with shrapnel. Most of the shrapnel falls to the ground harmlessly, but some can be lethal if it hits someone in the right place.
maverick_starstrider
I just had a thought about old WWII flak cannons. You know the one that shot shells into the air that then exploded in black smoke and shrapnel. You see things like Band of Brothers where the sky is basically covered with shrapnel explosions. My question is would all that shrapnel come down at lethal or near lethal velocities after? Just like a bullet fired in the air. In like air battles over London, what happened in all the country side underneath all the flak explosions? Does it fall harmlessly to the Earth or does it pepper the ground with hot lead? I mean they filled the sky with a LOT of that ordinance during the war.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shrapnel is rather small individually isn't it? I would have thought that within a few seconds most of the kinetic energy would be spent and the pieces would fall to the Earth at slow, non-lethal speeds.

Many many people were killed or injured in London, during the Blitz, by falling AKAK shrapnel, I believe. The terminal veolcity of a falling lump of jagged metal is high enough to give a nasty injury.
It always amazes me that the 'irregulars' in the Middle East are always firing their guns, enthusiastically, up into the air. It must cause countless unexplained injuries in cities.

ww2 ak ak had time fuze early on then went to proximity fuze..if i remember correctly..it has same impact as dropping a penny off the top floor of empire state building..terminal velocity is reached and that's it..most ak ak injuries on ground were due to late fuze exploding..opposite of 'short round" mis fire

Deaths and injuries were very real possibilities from falling shrapnel. Even buildings were damaged at times.

http://wwarii.com/blog/archives/cbs-radio-news-man-berlin-endures-air-raid/"

http://youandyesterday.com/articles/Shattering_shrapnel_from_our_guns_was_lethal_danger"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranger Mike said:
ww2 ak ak had time fuze early on then went to proximity fuze..if i remember correctly..it has same impact as dropping a penny off the top floor of empire state building..terminal velocity is reached and that's it..most ak ak injuries on ground were due to late fuze exploding..opposite of 'short round" mis fire

It surprises me that flak would have been so small. Wouldn't you need bigger bits if you wanted to do derious damage to 'planes - at least the size of cannon shells?

sophiecentaur said:
It surprises me that flak would have been so small. Wouldn't you need bigger bits if you wanted to do derious damage to 'planes - at least the size of cannon shells?

No. Small particles moving at high velocities can damage airplanes quite readily if they hit in the right place. More small particles = better chance of causing catastrophic damage.

Yep. It is like fire Birdshot out of a shotgun. Each round may not do that much damage compared to buckshot or slug, but you have a MUCH greater chance of hitting something. And you don't really have to do "serious" damage to a plane. A small amount of damage to a critical area like an engine can easily cause the loss of an aircraft. Similarly, heavy damage to non critical areas can have almost no affect. I know there were plenty of old bombers that came back to base with thousands of holes in them, but none caused critical damage.

Drakkith said:
Yep. It is like fire Birdshot out of a shotgun. Each round may not do that much damage compared to buckshot or slug, but you have a MUCH greater chance of hitting something. And you don't really have to do "serious" damage to a plane. A small amount of damage to a critical area like an engine can easily cause the loss of an aircraft. Similarly, heavy damage to non critical areas can have almost no affect. I know there were plenty of old bombers that came back to base with thousands of holes in them, but none caused critical damage.

If war movies are any indicator I always got the impression that the point of flak was just as much to shred the pilots as actually damage the plane.

maverick_starstrider said:
If war movies are any indicator I always got the impression that the point of flak was just as much to shred the pilots as actually damage the plane.

Sure. That works too.

I work on cruise missiles for the Air Force and the explosive in them is mixed with different sized "ball bearings". Literally different sized metal balls from BB to about big marbles or so.

Related to Thought About Old Flak Cannons/AA Guns

1. What are old flak cannons/AA guns?

Old flak cannons/AA guns are anti-aircraft weapons that were commonly used during World War II and other conflicts. They are large, stationary cannons that were used to shoot down enemy aircraft and provide protection for ground troops.

2. How do old flak cannons/AA guns work?

Old flak cannons/AA guns work by firing explosive projectiles into the air in the path of incoming aircraft. When the projectile detonates, it releases shrapnel that can damage or destroy the aircraft. These cannons were often used in large groups to increase their effectiveness.

3. What was the purpose of old flak cannons/AA guns?

The main purpose of old flak cannons/AA guns was to defend against enemy aircraft and protect ground troops and important targets such as cities and military installations. They were also used for psychological warfare, as the sight and sound of flak explosions could demoralize enemy pilots.

4. Are old flak cannons/AA guns still used today?

While old flak cannons/AA guns are no longer used in modern warfare due to advancements in technology, they can still be found in some historical sites and museums. Some countries also use them for ceremonial purposes, such as during national holidays or military parades.

5. What are the dangers of operating old flak cannons/AA guns?

Operating old flak cannons/AA guns was a dangerous task, as the operators were exposed to enemy fire and the risk of accidents. The cannons also produced a large amount of smoke, which could obscure the operator's view and make it difficult to accurately aim at targets. Additionally, the loud explosions could cause hearing damage to the operators.