Kinematics Free Fall problems help

In summary, the problem involves a hot air balloon rising at a constant rate of 2.4 m/s and a camera being thrown upward with an initial speed of 11.6 m/s by a friend on the ground. The passenger in the balloon is 2.5 m above the friend when the camera is thrown. Using the equations of motion, the passenger can be found to reach a height of 23.10 m when the camera reaches her, with the time it takes for the camera to pass the balloon being approximately 2.36 seconds.
P944

Homework Statement

I am having a heck of a time trying to solve these problems. Please help if you can.

A hot air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at the constant rate of 2.4 m/s. Suddenly, one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward with an initial speed of 11.6 m/s. If the passenger is 2.5 m above her friend when the camera is tossed, how high is she when the camera reaches her?

Homework Equations

v= v0 +a*t
x=x0 + vt - 1/2*a*t^2
x=x0 + v0*t +1/2at^2
v^2 =V0^2 +2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for time then use that variable to solve for distance
V=Vo + at = 0=11.6m/s +(-9.80m/s^2)*t
1.184s = time

x = x0 +vt - 1/2at^2
x = 2.5m + (1.184s)(11.6m/s) - 1/2(-9.80m/s^2)(1.184s)^2 = 23.10

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me understand where i went wrong or understand how to approach this problem. thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi P944! Welcome to PF! :smile:
P944 said:
I tried to solve for time then use that variable to solve for distance
V=Vo + at = 0=11.6m/s +(-9.80m/s^2)*t
1.184s = time

Nooo :redface: … that's the time it reaches maximum height (v = 0), you need the time it passes the balloon. :wink:

Related to Kinematics Free Fall problems help

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion in which an object falls under the influence of gravity only, without any other external forces acting on it.

3. How do you solve kinematics free fall problems?

To solve kinematics free fall problems, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables, then use the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are the key variables in a kinematics free fall problem?

The key variables in a kinematics free fall problem are the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics free fall problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics free fall problems include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of motion, and not accounting for air resistance if it is present.