This may be ridiculous but I am just starting to learn Calculus.

• Thread starter Loismustdie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of continuity in calculus and how it applies to a function at a certain point and at all its points. The definition of continuity is mentioned and the confusion about how to determine if the whole function is continuous is addressed. Different examples and explanations are given to help clarify the concept.
Loismustdie
This may be ridiculous but I am just starting to learn Calculus.
Anyway I am learning continuity and they say the function is continuous at a certain point c. What I want to know is what does this mean, and how do you know if the function is completely continuous.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, have you bothered to read the definition of continuity?

yeah but I am still confused about continuity. If you could answer my question maybe I would know

Vague confusions are not easily resolved!

Please pick up your book again, and state what SPECIFICALLY is unclear to you about the definition of continuity!

My books defintion states that "A function f(x) is continuous at x=c if lim(x->c)f(x)=f(c)." What I am confused about is that if it is continuous at the point x=c how do you know if the whole function is continuous and not just at x=c.

Help me if this can be explained, if not I will just drop it.

The function is continuous at all points if the above holds for all c.

"What I am confused about is that if it is continuous at the point x=c how do you know if the whole function is continuous and not just at x=c.
"

In order to know that the function is continuous at ALL its points, then it has to fulfill the condition of continuity at a point everywhere.

Loismustdie said:
My books defintion states that "A function f(x) is continuous at x=c if lim(x->c)f(x)=f(c)." What I am confused about is that if it is continuous at the point x=c how do you know if the whole function is continuous and not just at x=c.

Help me if this can be explained, if not I will just drop it.
If all you know is that f is continuous at x= c, then you do not know anything about whether it is continuous for other x. For example, the function f(x)= 1/n if x= m/n reduced to lowest terms, f(x)= 0 if x is irrational is continuous at x= 0 but no where else. (I think!)

I don't agree, Halls!
Your function ought to be continuous on all irrationals, but discontinuous at the rationals.

Discontinuity at the rationals is trivial, here's how I think a proof of continuity at the irrationals might go:

1. Given an irrational a, for every N, there exists a D(N)>0 so that the punctured disk about a with radius D(N) do not contain any rationals of the form m/N.
2. Given E>0, choose 1/N<E
For n=1,...N, find the minimum radius D(n*).
3. Thus, only rationals with denominator N+1 or greater will be included in the indicated punctured disk, by whom the associated function values will be less than E.

Hence, continuity at the irrationals is proven.

Last edited:
Okay, arildno, I concede. I had a suspicion I was wrong when I wrote that!

Hi
I think that you imagine continuty as a geometrical concept.thus you think about that the founctions`s graph is a continuous one or not.
In strict mathematical conception , a (whole) function is continuous if for every point c in it`s domain satisfy continouty condition.
( in the parantesis in the calculus there is atheoreom that is say : if f(x) is continuous in the interval [a,b] and f(a)=k1 and f(b)=k2; then for every k in which k1<k<k2 (or k2<k<k1) , there is a c in [a.b] in which f(c)= k)

Well, the idea that the graph of a conintuous function is something you can draw without lifting your pen is rather outmoded.

Furthermore, looking at nastinesses like the continuous, nowhere differentiable Weierstrass function drawing the graph becomes everywhere impossible!

Also, if the domain is not connected, then the graph of a continuous function looks not at all..connected.

a nice example is f(x) = x if x is rational, and f9x) = -x if x is irrational.

this function is con tinuous only at x=0, and is proabbly the exampel halls was thinking of.

try to draw the graph and you will get a better idea of what con tinuity means.

i.e. f(0) can be approximated by any f(x) for any x near enough to x=0, but this is not true anywhere else.

Related to This may be ridiculous but I am just starting to learn Calculus.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is a powerful tool used to solve problems involving rates of change and to analyze continuous functions.

2. What is the difference between differential and integral Calculus?

Differential Calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while Integral Calculus deals with the study of areas under curves and the accumulation of quantities.

3. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a framework for understanding complex systems and making accurate predictions.

4. How can I start learning Calculus?

The best way to learn Calculus is to start with the fundamentals of algebra and trigonometry, as they are the building blocks of Calculus. Then, move on to the basic concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals.

5. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with dedication and practice, it is possible to master it. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry and to approach it with a problem-solving mindset. Seeking help from a tutor or a study group can also make the learning process easier.