This is How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem?

• Thread starter riseofphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodes
In summary, the nodes and antinodes of a 3rd harmonic on a fixed string with a length of 9m are located at 0m, 1.5m, 3m, 4.5m, 6m, 7.5m, and 9m. To find the frequency, you can use the equation v = √(T/(M/L)), and then divide by twice the length. The wavelength of the standing wave is half the wavelength of the traveling wave, so in this case it would be 3m.
riseofphoenix
HELP! This is URGENT! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem??

41.png

For nodes, I tried doing λ = 2L/n but it's not giving me the answers they got... please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Okay so check this diagram out
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/h3.gif
Thats a 3rd harmonic...
So you've got 4 nodes where the string is not moving at all, and 3 antinodes of maximum displacement.
Its fixed at each end, so 0m and 9m must be nodes! They can't move if there being held there. So youve got 2 in between , they must be equally spaced so theyve got to be at 3m and 6m. (Maths way to do this is length/harmonic = 9/3 = 3, got to be spaced 3m apart)
You know that the antinodes must be halfway between these nodes, so they have to be at 1.5, 4.5 and 7.5! This is length/2*harmonic.

For the frequency...
velocity = root(tension/(mass/length))
and then to get the frequency this must be divided by twice the length :)
Hope you understood all that!

sorry that's v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{M/L}}[/itex]

so

f = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\frac{T}{M/L}}}{2L}[/itex]

riseofphoenix said:
41.png

For nodes, I tried doing λ = 2L/n but it's not giving me the answers they got... please help!

That equation gives you the correct answer, but you then interpreted incorrectly.

The modes of vibration of a string represent STANDING WAVES on the string. The wavelength of a standing wave is 1/2 the wavelength of the traveling wave "causing" the standing wave.

Your formula gives λ = 6m. That is the traveling wave λ

So the wavelength of the standing wave is 3m

The first node is at the fixed end where you start. The next ones are every 3 m from there - until you have reached the other end.

The anti-nodes are halfway between each of those nodes

Hello, solving for nodes and antinodes can be a bit tricky, but I can provide some guidance to help you solve this problem. Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of nodes and antinodes. Nodes are points along a standing wave where there is zero displacement, while antinodes are points where there is maximum displacement.

To solve for nodes and antinodes, you will need to know the wavelength (λ), the length of the standing wave (L), and the number of nodes (n). The formula you mentioned, λ = 2L/n, is correct. However, it is important to note that this formula only applies to a specific type of standing wave known as the fundamental mode. If you are dealing with higher modes, the formula will change.

To ensure you are using the correct formula, it is important to first identify the type of standing wave you are dealing with. For example, the fundamental mode has only one node and two antinodes, while the second harmonic has two nodes and three antinodes. Once you have identified the type of standing wave, you can use the appropriate formula to solve for the nodes and antinodes.

If you are still not getting the correct answers, it could be due to a calculation error or not using the correct units. Make sure to double-check your calculations and use consistent units throughout. If you are still having trouble, I recommend seeking help from your teacher or a tutor who can guide you through the process and check your work. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Related to This is How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem?

1. What are nodes and antinodes?

Nodes and antinodes are points of minimal and maximal displacement, respectively, in a standing wave. In other words, they are points where the amplitude of the wave is at its highest (antinodes) or lowest (nodes).

2. How do nodes and antinodes relate to standing waves?

Nodes and antinodes are essential components of standing waves. The nodes represent points of no displacement, while the antinodes represent points of maximum displacement. Together, they create the distinct pattern of a standing wave.

3. What factors affect the location of nodes and antinodes?

The location of nodes and antinodes is affected by the wavelength and frequency of the wave. As the wavelength increases, the distance between nodes and antinodes also increases. Similarly, as the frequency increases, the number of nodes and antinodes also increases.

4. How do I solve for the nodes and antinodes in a given problem?

To solve for the nodes and antinodes, you will need to know the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave. From there, you can use the formula L = nλ/2 (where L is the length of the string, n is the number of nodes, and λ is the wavelength) to solve for the locations of the nodes and antinodes.

5. Why are nodes and antinodes important in understanding waves?

Nodes and antinodes are important because they help us understand the behavior of waves. By studying the patterns created by nodes and antinodes, we can better understand the properties of waves and how they interact with their surroundings.