Third resonance length frequency(which formula do i use?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resonant lengths and frequencies for open and closed end columns. The formula for calculating the third resonant length in open air columns is not clear, but one can use the universal wave equation and rearrange it to find the frequency. There are different formulas for resonant lengths and frequencies for open and closed end columns, with open ends requiring both ends to be nodes and closed ends requiring one end to be an anti-node. There may be confusion about the calculation of L3=1.62m, as it does not make sense for the wavelength to be longer than the length of the pipe.
supernova1203
for 15 a) (question in attachment)

using given 0.54m i calculated L1

also after rearranging L1=λ/2 i got wavelength which is 1.08m

L2 = λ

and since the distance between all the resonant lengths is always the same, i just added 0.54 to length 2 to figure out length 3

which is L3=1.62m
my question is i can't seem to be able to find a formula for open ended column resonant frequencies for resonant length 3should i just use the universal wave equation? v=fλ

and re arrange and use f=v/λ

or is there a different equation for finding frequency of 3rd resonant length in open air columns?

how do i find the frequency for third resonant length?

Attachments

• Last question lesson 4.jpg
    Last question lesson 4.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 861
Physics news on Phys.org
On a side note, I am curious are there different formulas for resonant lengths and frequencies for open and closed end colums or are some of them the same and others different?

For instance are they the same for lengths but different for frequencies?

anyone?

I am confused as to your adding lengths, this may just by my understanding though. If I were to do this question then I would draw a diagram, importantly the open ends mean both ends must have nodes. So the first mode as you mentioned will have no nodes inside the pipe, therefore the wavelength will equal twice the length L=0.54 of the pipe.

The second will have one node in the centre, so will have a wavelength exactly equal to L, the third will have 2 nodes, evenly distributed. So you need to calculate the wavelength of this mode. And then to find the frequency use the wave equation as you suggested.

I think you have confused yourself, you write that L3=1.62m. Draw a sine wave with wavelength 1.62m inside a 0.52m tube and you will see what this does not make sense (high frequency means shorter wavelength).

On your side note a closed end mean you change the condition that the ends are nodes, in fact you can show a closed end must be an anti-node, so for the lowest order mode the wavelength is 4*L, but then the only modes which can exist are those for which the end is an anti-node so modes such as the third order mode will not work. You can test this by getting a role of wrapping paper and blowing in an end then blocking and unblocking the other end.

To find the frequency for the third resonant length, you can use the formula f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of the sound wave, and λ is the wavelength. In this case, v would be the speed of sound in air, which is approximately 343 m/s. The wavelength, λ, can be calculated using the formula λ = L3/2, where L3 is the third resonant length. So, the final formula would be f = 343/(1.62/2) = 343/0.81 = 423.45 Hz. This would give you the frequency for the third resonant length in an open air column.

Related to Third resonance length frequency(which formula do i use?)

1. What is the third resonance length frequency?

The third resonance length frequency is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a vibrating system has a natural frequency that is equal to three times the first harmonic or fundamental frequency. This results in a more pronounced resonance effect.

2. How is the third resonance length frequency calculated?

The formula for calculating the third resonance length frequency is f3 = 3f1, where f3 is the third resonance length frequency and f1 is the fundamental frequency. This formula can be used for any vibrating system, such as a string, pipe, or air column.

3. What is the significance of the third resonance length frequency?

The third resonance length frequency is significant in understanding the behavior of vibrating systems. It helps determine the natural frequencies and resonant modes of the system, which can be used to optimize and improve the performance of the system.

4. How does the third resonance length frequency affect musical instruments?

In musical instruments, the third resonance length frequency plays a crucial role in determining the overall sound quality and tone. For example, in string instruments like guitars, the third harmonic frequency produces a more mellow and rich sound compared to the fundamental frequency.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the third resonance length frequency?

Yes, the third resonance length frequency has various applications in different fields, such as acoustics, engineering, and physics. It is used in designing musical instruments, developing efficient structures, and studying wave phenomena. It is also essential in the development of resonance-based technologies, such as MRI machines and ultrasound devices.