Third-order nonlinear ODE with boundary condition

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in solving a third-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation using Mathematica and the need to obtain both analytic and numerical solutions. The solution process involves using the Newton iterative algorithm for the numerical solution and power series for the analytic solution. The conversation also mentions the use of MATLAB for programming and the inability to use libraries for the numerical solution.
rosecat
I'm trying to solve a third-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation. I couldn't get the answer even using Mathematica.

The equation is:

u'''(t) + u/2 u''(t) = 0

with conditions u(0)=0, u'(0)=0, u(10)=1.

I need to get both analytic solution and numerical solution. For the numerical solution, I'm thinking the Newton iterative algorithm. But for the analytic solution, I really have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
rosecat said:
I'm trying to solve a third-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation. I couldn't get the answer even using Mathematica.

The equation is:

u'''(t) + u/2 u''(t) = 0

with conditions u(0)=0, u'(0)=0, u(10)=1.

I need to get both analytic solution and numerical solution. For the numerical solution, I'm thinking the Newton iterative algorithm. But for the analytic solution, I really have no idea.

I mean if you're using Mathematica, just use NDSolve:

Code:
myguesses = {0.1, 0.15, 0.2}; 
sols = (First[NDSolve[{Derivative[3][u][t] + (u[t]/2)*Derivative[2][u][t] == 0, u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0, 
        u[10] == 1}, u, t, Method -> {"Shooting", "StartingInitialConditions" -> {u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0, 
           Derivative[2][u][0] == #1}}]] & ) /@ myguesses; 
Plot[Evaluate[u[t] /. sols], {t, 0, 10}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Blue, Green}]

tweek it as you see fit. As far as an analytic solution, in an act of utter desperation, I would resort to power series.

jackmell said:
I mean if you're using Mathematica, just use NDSolve:

Code:
myguesses = {0.1, 0.15, 0.2}; 
sols = (First[NDSolve[{Derivative[3][u][t] + (u[t]/2)*Derivative[2][u][t] == 0, u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0, 
        u[10] == 1}, u, t, Method -> {"Shooting", "StartingInitialConditions" -> {u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0, 
           Derivative[2][u][0] == #1}}]] & ) /@ myguesses; 
Plot[Evaluate[u[t] /. sols], {t, 0, 10}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Blue, Green}]

tweek it as you see fit. As far as an analytic solution, in an act of utter desperation, I would resort to power series.
Thank you jackmell!

For the numerical solution, I have to write out the algorithm and programming in MATLAB. No library could be used.

For the analytic solution, I tried DSolve but It didn't work. I am trying the power series.

Again, thanks a lot!

Related to Third-order nonlinear ODE with boundary condition

1. What is a third-order nonlinear ODE?

A third-order nonlinear ODE is a type of differential equation that involves a third derivative of an unknown function and contains nonlinear terms. This means that the equation cannot be written in the form of a linear combination of the function and its derivatives.

2. How is a third-order nonlinear ODE different from a regular ODE?

A regular ODE only involves first and second derivatives, while a third-order nonlinear ODE involves a third derivative. Additionally, a regular ODE can be solved using standard methods such as separation of variables, while a third-order nonlinear ODE may require more advanced techniques or numerical methods to solve.

3. What is a boundary condition in the context of a third-order nonlinear ODE?

A boundary condition is a set of constraints that are imposed on the solution of a differential equation at the boundaries of the domain. In the context of a third-order nonlinear ODE, these conditions specify the behavior of the function and its derivatives at the endpoints of the interval over which the equation is being solved.

4. Can a third-order nonlinear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a third-order nonlinear ODE can have multiple solutions depending on the boundary conditions and the nonlinear terms present in the equation. This is in contrast to linear ODEs, which typically have a unique solution.

5. How are third-order nonlinear ODEs used in science?

Third-order nonlinear ODEs are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in various fields of science, such as fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and population dynamics. They also have applications in engineering and mathematical finance, among others.