Third order differential equation numerical approximation

In summary, the problem is to numerically integrate a system of two coupled differential equations that were non-dimensionalized from three partial differential equations. The goal is to simplify this system to a larger system of first order ODEs. The equations given are F''' + 1/2(F*F'') = 0 and G'' + Pr/2(F*G') = 0, with initial conditions for F and G. The attempt at a solution involved using the Runge-Kutta 4th order method, but the correct approach is to create a system of first order ODEs with three variables U1, U2, and U3, where U3' = Pr/(2*U2*U3)
blue2004STi

Homework Statement

There is a fluid flowing over a hot plate. We non-dimensionalized the problem from three partial diff eq's to two ode's. I am modeling I have two coupled differential equations that are a system of initial value problems. I am supposed to numerically integrate the two equations to come up with values... I'm then told to simplify this to a larger system of first order ode's. I'm not sure how to do this...

Homework Equations

I'm given F''' +1/2(F*F'')=0 and G''+Pr/2(F*G')=0 where Pr is the prandle number. F(0)=0 F'(0)=0 F'(infinity)=1 G(0)=1 G(infinity)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm supposed to guess F'' and G' to get F' and G' to be what I want them to asymptote to. I just am not sure how to get to a place where I can use something like Runge-Kutta 4th order method...

My attempt was U1=F1 U2=F' U1'=U2=F' U2'=U3=F'' U2''=F''' U2''+1/2(U1*U2')=0

then

V1=U1 V2=U2' V2'=U2'' and V2'+1/2(V1*V2)=0

But I don't know if this is right...

Any help is appreciated thanks,

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
blue2004STi said:

Homework Statement

There is a fluid flowing over a hot plate. We non-dimensionalized the problem from three partial diff eq's to two ode's. I am modeling I have two coupled differential equations that are a system of initial value problems. I am supposed to numerically integrate the two equations to come up with values... I'm then told to simplify this to a larger system of first order ode's. I'm not sure how to do this...

Homework Equations

I'm given F''' +1/2(F*F'')=0 and G''+Pr/2(F*G')=0 where Pr is the prandle number. F(0)=0 F'(0)=0 F'(infinity)=1 G(0)=1 G(infinity)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm supposed to guess F'' and G' to get F' and G' to be what I want them to asymptote to. I just am not sure how to get to a place where I can use something like Runge-Kutta 4th order method...

My attempt was U1=F1 U2=F' U1'=U2=F' U2'=U3=F'' U2''=F''' U2''+1/2(U1*U2')=0
To use Runge-Kutta, you need a system of first order differential equations. You don't want U2"+ (1/2)(U1*U2')= 0, you want U3'+ (1/2)(U1*U3)= 0
Your 3 equations are
U1'= U2
U2'= U3 and
U3'+ (1/2)(U1*U3)= 0.

then

V1=U1 V2=U2' V2'=U2'' and V2'+1/2(V1*V2)=0
Surely you don't mean this! What happened to G?
Let V1= G, V2= V1'= G', and V3= V2'= G". Then
V1'= V2
V2'= V3 and
V3'= Pr/(2*U2*V2)

But I don't know if this is right...

Any help is appreciated thanks,

Matt

Related to Third order differential equation numerical approximation

1. What is a third order differential equation?

A third order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its third derivative. It is commonly used to model physical systems and phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why is numerical approximation necessary for solving third order differential equations?

Third order differential equations often have complex solutions that cannot be expressed in a closed form. Therefore, numerical approximation methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, are used to estimate the solution at discrete points.

3. What are the steps involved in numerically approximating a third order differential equation?

The steps involved in numerically approximating a third order differential equation include:

1. Discretizing the domain into smaller intervals
  2. Approximating the derivatives using difference equations
  3. Iteratively solving the difference equations to obtain the solution at each interval

4. What are the limitations of numerical approximation for third order differential equations?

Numerical approximation methods can introduce error in the solution due to truncation and round-off errors. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the step size used and may require a large number of iterations to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

5. How are third order differential equations used in real-world applications?

Third order differential equations are used to model a variety of physical systems, such as oscillating systems, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to study and predict the behavior of complex systems.