Thinking of changing by degree to physics

In summary, the speaker is a first year university student who is considering switching from a biochemistry program to a physics program in order to pursue medical school. However, this would leave little time for volunteer work and completing pre-requisite courses. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to make this decision and balance their goals.
Protools
Im a first year student at university, and I've been thinking about this for a couple of months now but I am still not sure if i want to do it. I absolutely love physics, the theory and its practicality so switching shouldn't be a hard choice for me. Thing is that i want to attempt to get into medical school, so taking physics would make it a lot harder then the program I am currently in (biochemistry).

I've finished a couple of the pre requisite courses, but i need to take around 4 more. Thing is that the physics program is a four year paid internship (5 year program) so this leaves hardly any time for volunteering and filling out the rest of my pre reqs.

Just unsure of what to do and looking for some guidance

Physics news on Phys.org
. It sounds like you have a difficult decision ahead of you. Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do and what your goals are. Are you looking to pursue a career in physics or medicine? If so, then you'll need to weigh the pros and cons of each option. If you want to pursue both, then you may need to find a way to fit both into your schedule. If you decide to pursue the physics program, then you should look into ways to maximize your time so that you can still meet the pre-requisites for medical school. For instance, you could take online courses or summer courses if available. You could also look into volunteer opportunities that could be done remotely or during weekends. Additionally, you could look into research opportunities related to either field of study that could help build your resume for medical school. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that it aligns with your goals and that you have a clear idea of the path that you want to take. Good luck!

Related to Thinking of changing by degree to physics

1. Why are you considering changing your degree to physics?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern our universe. Physics is the foundation of all natural sciences and I believe pursuing a degree in this field will allow me to deepen my understanding of the world around us.

2. What skills and qualities are necessary for a degree in physics?

A degree in physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and the ability to solve complex problems. It also requires a curious and analytical mind, as well as perseverance and determination to overcome challenges.

3. How will a degree in physics benefit your future career?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, data analysis, and teaching. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, and nanotechnology.

4. What challenges can you expect in pursuing a degree in physics?

Pursuing a degree in physics can be challenging due to its heavy emphasis on mathematics and complex concepts. It also requires a significant amount of time and effort for studying and conducting experiments in laboratories. However, these challenges can also be rewarding and help develop valuable skills for future endeavors.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a degree in physics?

I would advise them to be prepared for a rigorous and challenging academic journey. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to continuously seek out opportunities to apply the knowledge learned in the classroom. It is also important to stay curious and passionate about the subject, as it can lead to exciting discoveries and advancements in the field.