Thin rod symbolic questions based on Image.

• Thread starter Christian121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Rod
In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an integral to find the electric field at a specific location due to a uniformly charged rod. The charge per unit length of the rod is -Q/2A and the amount of charge on a small piece of length dx is dq = λdx. The total length of the rod is not A, and the electric field equation for a uniformly charged rod is given. The solution for part A is -Q/2A.
Christian121

Homework Statement

A thin rod lies on the x-axis with one end at -A and the other end at A, as shown in the diagram. A charge of -Q is spread uniformly over the surface of the rod. We want to set up an integral to find the electric field at location ‹ 0, y, 0 › due to the rod.

16-050-Erod_setup.jpg

Use the following as necessary: x, y, dx, A, Q. Remember that the rod has charge -Q.

(a) In terms of the symbolic quantities given above and on the diagram, what is the charge per unit length of the rod?
λ = ?

(b) What is the amount of charge dQ on the small piece of length dx?
dQ = ?

Homework Equations

Electric field of a uniformly charged Rod: 1/4πε0 * 2(Q/L) / r

The Attempt at a Solution

PartA: -ΔQ: I tried this because since I'm dividing the rods by a based amount, the charge Q, should be written by -ΔQ.
-ΔQ/L: I input this wrong, because it's suppose to be A, since that's the length of the rod. I was thinking of -ΔQ/A, because since I'm dividing the charge by a certain amount, I'm also dividing the length of the rod as well. Haven't tried it yet.

PartB: -dx/A: Well I think similarly like part a, we're dividing the rod again, should be divided by A. Was thinking of Q (dx/A) if I'm trying to find the dQ

Just need help on these parts. From there I'll attempt the rest of the parts on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Christian121 said:
I input this wrong, because it's suppose to be A, since that's the length of the rod.
The rod goes from x = -A to x = A. How long is it?
Well I think similarly like part a, we're dividing the rod again, should be divided by A. Was thinking of Q (dx/A) if I'm trying to find the dQ
You've got the right idea, just the wrong length.

tms said:
The rod goes from x = -A to x = A. How long is it?

I would think Part A: is λ = -ΔQ/-Δx, if it's being uniformly distributed.

You've got the right idea, just the wrong length.

Ok thanks , er dq = λ*dx? :P. I'll figure it out eventually.

In the first part, the charge density is the total charge divided by the total length. The total length is not A.

Yes, [itex]dq = \lambda \:dx[/itex].

tms said:
In the first part, the charge density is the total charge divided by the total length. The total length is not A.

Yes, [itex]dq = \lambda \:dx[/itex].

Ok got part A I believe now. It's -Q/2*A.

Thanks for your help. I got the rest of the parts on this problem right as well.

Related to Thin rod symbolic questions based on Image.

1. What is the significance of the thin rod in the image?

The thin rod in the image is often used as a symbol for strength, stability, and balance. It can also represent a connection between two points or ideas.

2. What does the direction of the thin rod indicate?

The direction of the thin rod can indicate movement or progress. It can also suggest a sense of direction or purpose.

3. Is the thin rod a common symbol in science?

Yes, the thin rod is a common symbol in science. It is often used to represent concepts such as force, torque, and equilibrium in physics and engineering.

4. How does the thin rod relate to scientific principles?

The thin rod can relate to scientific principles such as balance, stability, and symmetry. It can also represent the transfer of energy or forces between two points.

5. Can the thin rod symbol have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the meaning of the thin rod symbol can vary depending on the context in which it is used. In science, it may have a specific meaning related to a scientific principle, while in other contexts it may have a more abstract or metaphorical meaning.