Theta in converting sec to cos

• Thread starter vanmaiden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Theta
The domain of sec is (-\infty,-1] \cup [1,\infty), while the domain of cos is [0,\pi]. Therefore, the domain of x for the first equation is (-\infty,-\frac{\pi}{2}] \cup [\frac{\pi}{2}, \infty), while the domain of x for the second equation is [0,\frac{\pi}{2}]. In summary, the conversion from arcsec \frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}} = x to arccos \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4} = x involves taking the reciprocal of the argument and flipping the function (from sec to cos), but it is important to consider the domain restrictions for
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

I saw in my calculus book that something along the lines of arcsec [itex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{pi}}[/itex] = x was converted to arccos [itex]\frac{\sqrt{pi}}{4}[/itex] = x. I understand that sec and cos are reciprocals, but I don't see why has to be flipped as well.

Homework Equations

cos (θ), sec (θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I began to think of the graphs and such, but I just can't think of why this works. I don't normally mess with the inverse trig functions and was hoping someone could point out what I'm missing.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement

I saw in my calculus book that something along the lines of arcsec [itex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{pi}}[/itex] = x was converted to arccos [itex]\frac{\sqrt{pi}}{4}[/itex] = x. I understand that sec and cos are reciprocals, but I don't see why has to be flipped as well.

Homework Equations

cos (θ), sec (θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I began to think of the graphs and such, but I just can't think of why this works. I don't normally mess with the inverse trig functions and was hoping someone could point out what I'm missing.

Thank you.
Let x = [itex]sec^{-1}\frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]
Then sec(x) = [itex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]
So cos(x) = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4}[/itex]
Which means that x = cos-1[itex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4}[/itex]

It should be understood that there are domain restrictions on x.

Related to Theta in converting sec to cos

1. What is the formula for converting seconds to cosine?

The formula for converting seconds to cosine is cos(θ) = 1 / sec(θ), where θ represents the angle in radians.

2. How do I convert a given number of seconds to its equivalent cosine value?

To convert seconds to cosine, you can use the formula cos(θ) = 1 / sec(θ), where θ is the angle in radians. First, find the angle θ in radians by dividing the given number of seconds by 360 degrees. Then, plug in the value of θ into the formula to calculate the cosine value.

3. Can I use the same formula to convert seconds to cosine in degrees?

No, the formula cos(θ) = 1 / sec(θ) only applies when θ is in radians. To convert seconds to cosine in degrees, you can use the formula cos(θ) = 1 / sec(θ) * (180 / π), where θ is the angle in degrees.

4. Why do we use theta (θ) in the formula for converting seconds to cosine?

Theta (θ) is a commonly used variable to represent an angle in mathematics. In the context of converting seconds to cosine, θ represents the angle in radians or degrees that we are converting.

5. Is there a faster way to convert seconds to cosine without using the formula?

Yes, you can use a calculator or a conversion table to quickly find the cosine value of a given number of seconds. However, it is important to understand the formula and how it works to accurately convert between seconds and cosine values.