Thermometers for Oven, Child, Cryostat, Sun: Accuracy & Usage

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
In summary, for measuring the temperature of different objects, different types of thermometers are used with varying accuracy. For a domestic oven, a basic thermometer with an approximate accuracy of +/- 10 degrees would suffice. A sick child's temperature can be measured using an ordinary mercury thermometer with an accuracy of +/- 0.5K. However, this type of thermometer cannot be used to measure the temperature of the sun as it will vaporize. For extremely low temperatures such as in a cryostat at about 4K, specialized thermometers such as resistance thermometers or thermocouples with an accuracy of +/- 0.1K would be used. Spectral line thermometers are used to measure the temperature of the sun with an accuracy of
bon

Homework Statement

Describe the thermometer you would use for measuing the temperature of each of the objects listed below, indicating the thermometers approximate accuracy:

a) a domestic oven
b) a sick child
c) a cryostat at about 4K
d) the sun

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea really!

I\'m guessing the one for a sick child would be your ordinary mercury thermometer that work by a change in volume in the liquid? its approximate accuracy is like +/- 0.5K right? What about the others?!
THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can eliminate the ordinary mercury thermometer for measuring the sun's temperature since it will vaporize long before giving an accurate reading... so presuming you figured that one out already you have some idea. Try thinking out loud here.

Ok so I guess the sun one is done by spectral lines or something? What about the others? Cant really think out loud as I just don't know what different types there are.. :(

for your question! I would approach this problem by first understanding the temperature range and conditions of each object.

a) For a domestic oven, I would use a thermometer with a temperature range of 0-500 degrees Fahrenheit and an accuracy of +/- 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit. This would allow me to accurately measure the temperature inside the oven while cooking.

b) For a sick child, I would use a digital thermometer with a temperature range of 90-110 degrees Fahrenheit and an accuracy of +/- 0.1 degrees Fahrenheit. This would allow me to quickly and accurately measure the child's body temperature and monitor any changes.

c) For a cryostat at 4K, I would use a specialized thermometer such as a platinum resistance thermometer or a thermocouple with a temperature range of -200 to 500 degrees Celsius and an accuracy of +/- 0.1 degrees Celsius. These thermometers are specifically designed for low temperature measurements and can provide precise readings in extreme conditions.

d) For the sun, I would use a pyrometer, which measures temperature by detecting thermal radiation. The accuracy of a pyrometer can vary depending on the type and model, but a high-quality pyrometer can have an accuracy of +/- 1 degree Celsius. However, it's important to note that measuring the temperature of the sun can be challenging and requires advanced techniques and equipment.

Overall, it's important to choose a thermometer with an appropriate temperature range and accuracy for the specific object being measured. Using the wrong thermometer can result in inaccurate readings and potentially compromise the results of an experiment or measurement.

Related to Thermometers for Oven, Child, Cryostat, Sun: Accuracy & Usage

1. How accurate are thermometers for oven, child, cryostat, and sun?

The accuracy of thermometers can vary depending on the type and quality. Generally, thermometers for ovens and cryostats have a high accuracy of within 1 degree Celsius. Thermometers for children can have a slightly lower accuracy, ranging from 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius. Sun thermometers also have a high accuracy, typically within 0.1 to 0.5 degrees Celsius.

2. How do I use a thermometer for an oven?

To use a thermometer for an oven, first make sure it is suitable for use in high temperatures. Then, place the thermometer inside the oven and keep the oven door closed. Wait for the temperature to stabilize and then read the temperature indicated on the thermometer.

3. Are thermometers for children safe?

Yes, thermometers for children are designed to be safe for use. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided and supervise children while using the thermometer to prevent any accidents.

4. Can I use a cryostat thermometer for other purposes?

No, cryostat thermometers are specifically designed for use in extremely low temperatures. Using them for other purposes may result in inaccurate readings or damage to the thermometer.

5. How do I use a sun thermometer?

To use a sun thermometer, place it in direct sunlight and wait for the temperature to stabilize. Then, read the temperature indicated on the thermometer. It is important to note that direct sunlight and outside temperature can affect the accuracy of a sun thermometer.