Pressure, constant volume gas thermometer, and thermodynamics

In summary: The first problem involves a U-tube with fluid, where the pressure on one side is P and on the other side is 3P. The density of the fluid, cross-sectional area of the tube, and acceleration of gravity are also given. The second problem involves a constant volume gas thermometer and three different gases (hydrogen, helium, neon) on the Celsius scale. The third problem deals with a block of ice at -40 degrees Celsius being placed in an oven with a constant rate of heat and eventually turning into gaseous water. The specific heats and latent heats of fusion and vaporization for H2O are also mentioned. The conversation concludes
nibbles198
Just a note before I start off, this was the first line on this homework assignment:

"If you have not studied this yet you can do this problem after reading about it in your textbook."...

I've honestly tried reading about this stuff, but our teacher hasn't even started thermodynamics yet (our midterm on mechanics was yesterday, and this is due tomorrow). I'm genuinely confused, could anyone help teach me some of this?

Here are the problems:

PROBLEM ONE: A U-tube stands vertically and has fluid in it and the pressure
on the left side on the surface of the fluid is P and the pressure on the other side is 3P . The
acceleration of gravity is g . The density of the fluid is •
. The cross sectional area of the tube is

A . Calculate the difference in height of the two surfaces in terms of quantities given or a subset
thereof.

PROBLEM TWO: This problem concerns a constant volume gas thermometer.
Using the Celsius scale for temperature sketch P vs T for three different gases in a constant
volume gas thermometer. The gases are hydrogen , helium and neon. Be sure to label which gas
is which in the sketch. Label the intercept of the horizontal ( Temperature ) axis. What is special
about that point?

PROBLEM THREE: A block of ice of mass M is at a temperature – 40o
Celsius and is taken out of the extremely cold freezer and placed in an oven that provides heat to
the ice at a constant rate in X joules per second. The temperature of the ice rises and eventually
the ice turns into gaseous water. Sketch Temperature vs time for this experiment where time = 0
when you first put the ice into the oven . Label important quantities on the sketch like the slopes
of lines and relevant times. The specific heat of solid, liquid , and gaseous H2 O is CS CLCG .
the latent heats of fusion and vaporization for H2 O are Lf and Lv .

Thank you so much for your help in advance. I want to learn thermodynamics, and I'm interested in it, but giving us a homework on a chapter that we haven't even talked about seems rediculous to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem #1 is simply an application of Newton's laws: Force (= Pressure x Area) = ma. If the levels remain constant is the water moving? So what does that tell you about the forces on the water? What force other than the forces provided by the gas pressures has to be taken into account.

The others require more information and some understanding of heat capacities.

AM

Related to Pressure, constant volume gas thermometer, and thermodynamics

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted per unit area on a surface. In terms of gas, it is the force that the gas molecules exert on the walls of the container they are in.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various units such as Pascals, atmospheres, and pounds per square inch (psi). A common device used to measure pressure is a manometer, which compares the pressure of the gas to the pressure of a liquid in a U-shaped tube.

3. What is a constant volume gas thermometer?

A constant volume gas thermometer is a device used to measure temperature by keeping the volume of the gas inside the thermometer constant. As the temperature increases, the gas molecules will have more kinetic energy and will exert more pressure on the walls of the container, which can be measured to determine the temperature.

4. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how these processes affect the properties of matter.

5. How does temperature affect pressure in a gas?

According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature of a gas increases, its pressure also increases, as long as the volume and number of gas molecules remain constant. This is because the gas molecules will have more kinetic energy and will collide with the walls of the container more frequently and with greater force.