Thermodynamics - Use conservation of energy to answer these questions....

In summary, the poster is trying to find out how much energy 57MJ would cause to change the temperature of the atmosphere.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-25_20-15-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how they got Q1 and Q2 for the first two columns, but how am i suppose to find Q1 and Q1 for the 3rd and 4th event?

Isn't it just 0? Cause it seems like the temperatures just stayed constant. I'm not entirely sure what the worksheet is asking me to do.

I think this may relate to carnot engine and heat engines that are reversible

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-25_20-15-23.png
    upload_2018-4-25_20-15-23.png
    50 KB · Views: 1,286
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224684

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how they got Q1 and Q2 for the first two columns, but how am i suppose to find Q1 and Q1 for the 3rd and 4th event?

Isn't it just 0? Cause it seems like the temperatures just stayed constant. I'm not entirely sure what the worksheet is asking me to do.

I think this may relate to carnot engine and heat engines that are reversible
Energy is being generated by fusion within the sun, so its temperature is not decreasing. What are your answers now?

What are your assessments of the changes in entropy?

Event 2 is impossible for sure because even if it doesn't break conservation's law heat can't go from a colder object to an hotter one. I don't understand event 3 and 4.

dRic2 said:
Event 2 is impossible for sure because even if it doesn't break conservation's law heat can't go from a colder object to an hotter one. I don't understand event 3 and 4.
By the same rationale, what is your assessment of whether Event 3 or Event 4 is possible?

Chestermiller said:
By the same rationale, what is your assessment of whether Event 3 or Event 4 is possible?

I'm not the OP so I don't know exactly what the question is... it seems nonsense to me.

dRic2 said:
I'm not the OP so I don't know exactly what the question is... it seems nonsense to me.
Oops. Sorry, I mistook you for the OP.

Likes dRic2
Never mind, It happens to me as well :biggrin::biggrin:

Chestermiller said:
Kinda got some insight from the above poster. I think event 3 is is possible since heat is moving from hot object to cold object.
Event 4 is impossible because Earth can transfer heat to the sun if it is colder than the sun.

dRic2 said:

Oh i get it. Cause cooling doesn't give heat?

lc99 said:
"Sun(1) transfers 58MJ of thermal energy to earth(2)." What about that is unclear?

tnich said:
"Sun(1) transfers 58MJ of thermal energy to earth(2)." What about that is unclear?
I'm more confused with the temperatures that they listed in the chart. Why would they use the same numbers for final temp?

lc99 said:
I'm more confused with the temperatures that they listed in the chart. Why would they use the same numbers for final temp?
The heat capacity of Earth's atmosphere is about 1X107J/m2/°C, that is, for each square meter of Earth's surface, it takes 1X107J to change the temperature of the atmosphere above it by 1°C. The radius of the Earth is about 6.4X106m. So how much does 57MJ change the temperature of the atmosphere? (Notice that we are just talking about the atmosphere here, without even considering anything below the surface of the planet.)

tnich said:
The heat capacity of Earth's atmosphere is about 1X107J/m2/°C, that is, for each square meter of Earth's surface, it takes 1X107J to change the temperature of the atmosphere above it by 1°C. The radius of the Earth is about 6.4X106m. So how much does 57MJ change the temperature of the atmosphere? (Notice that we are just talking about the atmosphere here, without even considering anything below the surface of the planet.)
What about the heat re- radiated to space. This is pretty much in balance with the heat received from the sun.

Chestermiller said:
What about the heat re- radiated to space. This is pretty much in balance with the heat received from the sun.
That is true on average, but daytime temperatures are several degrees higher than nighttime temperatures, so there is a transient warming effect of the sun. My point was to make clear the order of magnitude of the temperature change that 57MJ of energy would cause.

Related to Thermodynamics - Use conservation of energy to answer these questions....

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of heat and its relation to other forms of energy, such as work and radiation. It also includes the study of the properties of matter and how they are affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy (measure of disorder) of a closed system always increases over time. This means that in natural processes, energy tends to disperse and become more spread out, causing a decrease in usable energy.

What is an example of the application of thermodynamics?

One example of the application of thermodynamics is in the design and operation of heat engines, such as car engines or power plants. These engines use the principles of thermodynamics to convert heat into mechanical energy, which can then be used to perform work.

How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is closely related to everyday life, as it governs many natural processes and phenomena. For example, it explains how food is cooked, how refrigerators work, and even how our bodies maintain a constant temperature. Understanding thermodynamics can also help us make more efficient use of energy and reduce waste.