Thermodynamics/Statisical Mechanics: Carnot Cycle

Qh/Qc) to write:η = Qh/Qc = mcΔTh/mcΔTc = ΔTh/ΔTcSince we know that ΔTh is equal to the difference between the hot reservoir temperature (Th) and the working fluid temperature (Thw), and ΔTc is equal to the difference between the working fluid temperature (Tcw) and the cold reservoir temperature (Tc), we can write:η = ΔTh/ΔTc = (Th - Thw)/(Tcw - Tc)b.) Using the results from part (a), we can eliminate Tcw from the expression for power by substituting Tcw
Seda

Homework Statement

Consider a Carnot Cycle that absorbs heat from the hot reservoir at Thw and expels to the cold reservoir at Tcw just below Th and above Tc respectively.

a.) Derive an equation that relates the four temperatures.

b.) Using the first and second law, write down an expression for power entirely in terms of the four temperatures (and the constant K) and use the results of (a) to eliminate Tcw.

c.) Show that the expression found in (b) has a maximum value at Thw=.5(Th + sqrt[ThTc]). Find a corresponding expression for Tcw.

d.) Show that the efficiency of the engine is 1-sqrt(Tc/Th)

Homework Equations

Qh/t = K(Th-Thw)
Qc/t = K(Tcw-Tc)

K is the proportionality constant are the same for both processes.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I solved this knowing that the cycle's change in entropy is zero using S=Q/T.

My answer for a is: Qh[(1/Thw)-(1/Th)]+Qc[(1/Tc)-(1/Tcw)]=0

b.) This is where I'm stuck. I can solve the equation above for Tcw=1/[(Qh/Qc)[(1/Thw)-(1/Th)]+(1/Tc)]

I think I can substitute this monster above into this equation for power for Tcw

P=K(Th-Thw) - K(Tcw-Tc)

to solve part (b).

However, once i start taking the derivative of this to find a max for part c, the math gets ridiculous, I believe I have made an error or can somehow simplify this before attempting part c. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your post. Let's work through this problem together.

a.) To derive the equation relating the four temperatures, we can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In a Carnot cycle, the work done is equal to the difference between the heat absorbed from the hot reservoir and the heat expelled to the cold reservoir, so we have:

ΔU = Qh - Qc

We also know from the second law of thermodynamics that the efficiency of a Carnot cycle is given by:

η = 1 - Qc/Qh

We can rearrange this equation to solve for Qc:

Qc = Qh - ηQh = Qh(1 - η)

Substituting this into our first equation, we get:

ΔU = Qh - Qh(1 - η) = ηQh

We also know that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system (Qh) minus the work done by the system (W), so we can write:

ΔU = Qh - W

Substituting this into our equation for ΔU, we get:

ηQh = Qh - W

Solving for W, we get:

W = (1 - η)Qh

Now, we can use the definition of work (W = PΔV) and the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to write:

W = (1 - η)Qh = (1 - η)nRT

We can also use the definition of efficiency (η = Qh/Qc) to write:

Qc = Qh - ηQh = Qh(1 - η)

Substituting this into our equation for work, we get:

W = (1 - η)Qh = (1 - η)Qc/(1 - η) = Qc

Now, we can use the definition of heat (Q = mcΔT) to write:

Qh = mcΔTh

Qc = mcΔTc

Substituting these into our equation for work, we get:

W = Qc = (1 - η)mc(ΔTc - ΔTh)

Now,

Related to Thermodynamics/Statisical Mechanics: Carnot Cycle

1. What is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal compression, adiabatic compression, isothermal expansion, and adiabatic expansion.

2. What is the significance of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is significant because it sets the upper limit for the efficiency of any heat engine. It is considered the most efficient cycle possible and is used as a benchmark for comparing the performance of actual heat engines.

3. What is the formula for the efficiency of a Carnot Cycle?

The efficiency of a Carnot Cycle is given by the formula: efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the temperature at which heat is absorbed and T2 is the temperature at which heat is rejected.

4. How does the Carnot Cycle relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Carnot Cycle is based on the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat cannot spontaneously flow from a colder body to a hotter body. The Carnot Cycle demonstrates that the most efficient heat engine must operate between two temperature extremes and that there will always be some energy loss in the form of heat.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle has many real-life applications, including refrigerators, heat pumps, and gas turbines. It is also used in the development of more efficient engines and power plants. The principles of the Carnot Cycle are also applied in the study of climate science and Earth's energy balance.