Thermodynamics question - Ideal gases

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a rigid tank with a small hole, where air at different pressures and temperatures is leaking in. The questioner is trying to calculate the heat transfer involved, but runs into discrepancies with their calculations. After some discussion, it is determined that the incorrect use of units and improper understanding of specific volume led to the wrong results. The specific volume of air at 70 kPa is not given, but can be approximated using the specific volume at 101 kPa.
eurekameh
A rigid tank with a volume of 0.75 m3 initially contains air at 70 kPa and 25 degrees C. A small hole develops in the tank. The surrounding air at 100 kPa and 25 degrees C slowly leaks into the tank due to the hole. Heat transfer between the surroundings and the tank maintains a constant air temperature of 25 degrees C inside the tank. Determine the heat transfer.

When I did:
m = (PV)/(RT) = (70 x 0.75)/(0.2870 x 298) = 0.614 kg and
m = V / specific volume = 0.75 / 631.9 = 0.00119 kg (where the specific volume was found on table -17 of the Thermodynamics Tables http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/unledky.png/ ),
the results don't match each other. I assumed air was an ideal gas because pressure was low, temperature was high, compared to its critical point values. The error that was involved is big. Anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what type of question this is but are you sure that your units are right?

Hi weetabixharry! :smile:

Where did you get the number 0.2870 for R?
R has a different value.
The division (PV)/(RT) would get you the number of moles.
You need to multiply by the atomic mass number of air, to find the mass.

The specific volume you got is for standard pressure 100kPa, so you can't compare it to the mass you got for 70kPa.

You used wrong value for the specific volume. Search for air density. It is about 1 kg/m3 at standard conditions.

ehild

Units are right.
I got the number 0.2870 from table A-1. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/unledxxa.png/
The division (PV)/(RT) = m, where R is the specific gas constant for a gas, not the universal gas constant. It's different for every gas.
Even if you use (PV)/(RT) = N, where N is the number of moles, and multiplied by the molar mass, you still get the same mass.
"The specific volume you got is for standard pressure 100kPa, so you can't compare it to the mass you got for 70kPa."
If I use 100 kPa, I still get a different mass.

Ehild, why is that the wrong value for the specific volume?

Ah, I see, first time that I see R used for something other than the universal gas constant.
So we have PV=nRT and also PV=mRT?
How neat (not! ).

Looking at your table I see that the heading says vr.
There is no unit mentioned, but it is next to the internal energy, which is in kJ/kg.
Do you have a key that explains what vr is?
I do not think it is the specific volume.

Wiki gives density of air as 1.1839 kg/m3 at 25°C and 101 kPa, which corresponds to a specific volume of 0.8447 m3/kg.

eurekameh said:
Ehild, why is that the wrong value for the specific volume?

Because it is in m^3/kmol units, instead of m^3/kg.. So you got the mass in kmol-s.

Always check the units! .

ehild

"Wiki gives density of air as 1.1839 kg/m3 at 25°C and 101 kPa, which corresponds to a specific volume of 0.8447 m3/kg."
Is there a value for the specific volume at 70 kPa?

ehild said:
Because it is in m^3/kmol units, instead of m^3/kg.. So you got the mass in kmol-s.

Always check the units! .

ehild

I don't think that's the problem... I just figured vr is not the specific volume, but something else which I've recently learned, and not at all related to this problem.

You got the initial amount of gas, from the ideal gas law. The other calculation was wrong because of the improper units, so the results can not be the same.
So what is your problem really?

ehild

eurekameh said:
"Wiki gives density of air as 1.1839 kg/m3 at 25°C and 101 kPa, which corresponds to a specific volume of 0.8447 m3/kg."
Is there a value for the specific volume at 70 kPa?

Air is close enough to an ideal gas that the specific volume at 70 kPa is 101/70 x 0.8447 m3/kg.

Related to Thermodynamics question - Ideal gases

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept used in thermodynamics to describe a gas that follows certain laws and behaves in a predictable manner. It is assumed to have particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other.

2. What are the laws that govern ideal gases?

The laws that govern ideal gases include Boyle's law, which states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume, and Charles' law, which states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Additionally, the combined gas law and Avogadro's law also apply to ideal gases.

3. How is the ideal gas law used to solve problems?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is used to calculate the pressure, volume, temperature, or number of moles of an ideal gas. It can also be rearranged to solve for any of these variables. This equation is based on the combined gas law and the ideal gas constant, R, which is a constant value for all ideal gases.

4. What is absolute temperature and how is it related to ideal gases?

Absolute temperature is a temperature scale that starts at absolute zero, the theoretical lowest possible temperature. It is related to ideal gases through the ideal gas law, which states that at a constant volume, the pressure of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature. This relationship is known as Gay-Lussac's law.

5. Can real gases be considered ideal gases?

No, real gases do not behave exactly like ideal gases. This is because real gases have particles with finite volumes and also experience intermolecular forces. However, under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature, real gases can closely approximate ideal gas behavior.