Thermodynamics Proof : Cv (non-ideal gas) - Cv (ideal gas)

In summary: U = TdS - PdV and the Maxwell relation (∂S/∂V)t =(∂P/∂T)v. The speaker is stuck and needs help finding U(T+dT, V) - U(T,V) for a small volume V. They are struggling to arrive at the correct answer and have asked for assistance in a homework forum.
Exploded_Muffin
Can someone please help me with the following proof ...I'm stuck and not sure if I'm even on the right path.

Prove that
upload_2015-9-17_14-52-7.png
What I've done so far;
if U = f(T,V)
dU = (∂U/∂T)v dT + (∂U/∂V)t dV

Cv (non ideal) = (∂U/∂T)v

Using dU = TdS - PdV and Maxwell relation (∂S/∂V)t =(∂P/∂T)v,
(∂U/∂V)t = T(∂P/∂T)v - P

So;
dU = CvdT + [ T(∂P/∂T)v - P ]dv

I'm basically stuck here, tried different ways forward from here but I can't seem to arrive at the correct answer. Any help would be

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a homework problem, so I am moving it to a homework forum.

You want to find U(T+dT, V) - U(T,V), where V is a small enough volume so that ideal gas behavior does not to apply. What you do is start at T,V and determine the isothermal change in U when you go from T,V to very large volume (infinite). This puts you in the ideal gas region. Then you take the change in U from T and infinite volume to T + dT and infinite volume. This is just the ideal gas heat capacity times dT. Then you go isothermally from T+dT and infinite volume to T+dT and finite volume V.

Chet

Related to Thermodynamics Proof : Cv (non-ideal gas) - Cv (ideal gas)

1. How is Cv (non-ideal gas) calculated?

Cv (non-ideal gas) is calculated using the equation: Cv = (dU/dT)v, where dU is the change in internal energy and dT is the change in temperature at constant volume.

2. What is the difference between Cv (non-ideal gas) and Cv (ideal gas)?

Cv (non-ideal gas) and Cv (ideal gas) differ in their mathematical equations and values. Cv (non-ideal gas) takes into account the deviation from ideal gas behavior, while Cv (ideal gas) assumes ideal gas behavior.

3. How is Cv (non-ideal gas) affected by temperature and pressure?

Cv (non-ideal gas) is affected by temperature and pressure as it is a function of both variables. As temperature and pressure increase, the value of Cv (non-ideal gas) also increases.

4. Can the value of Cv (non-ideal gas) be negative?

Yes, the value of Cv (non-ideal gas) can be negative. This indicates that the internal energy of the gas decreases as temperature increases, which is a characteristic of some non-ideal gases.

5. How is the concept of Cv (non-ideal gas) used in real-world applications?

Cv (non-ideal gas) is used in thermodynamics to calculate the change in internal energy of a gas at constant volume. This concept has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics, where the behavior of non-ideal gases is important to understand and predict.