Thermodynamics: Object 1 in contact with Object 2

In summary, the aluminum baseball bat with a mass of 1.3 kg and specific heat capacity of 0.90 kJ/KgK was found in a snowbank at 0 Celsius and brought into a 64 m^3 room with a temperature of 25 Celsius. The room contains 76 kg of air with a specific heat capacity of 1.02 kJ/KgK and is closed with no one entering or exiting. Using the equation Q = c m (Tf - Ti), the heat flow into the bat was found to be equal to the heat flow out of the room. This was used to solve for the final temperature of the bat, which was found to be 23.51 Celsius the next
p1mpz0r

Homework Statement

After some digging, you locate your aluminum baseball bat (1.3 kg, c = 0.90 kJ/KgK) in a snowbank(0 Celsius) and bring it into a warm (25 Celsius) room. If the 64 m^3 room contains 76 kg of air (c = 1.02 kJ/KgK) and no one goes in or out of the (closed) room, what is the temperature of the bat the next day?

Homework Equations

Q = c m (Tf - Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently the Q caused by the bat is equal to the Q lost by the room, I'm just not sure how to calculate Qb and Qr (Qb being the Heat of the Bat, and Qr being the heat of the room), given that I don't have a final temperature.

I know it's super simple, but I'd love some clarity on the situation. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
p1mpz0r said:
Apparently the Q caused by the bat is equal to the Q lost by the room, I'm just not sure how to calculate Qb and Qr (Qb being the Heat of the Bat, and Qr being the heat of the room), given that I don't have a final temperature.
You have to determine Tf. You have all the information to do this.

Write out the equation for the heat flow into the bat (using the form of equation you have stated). That is your first equation. The unknown on the left side is Qb and on the right side the unknown is Tf.

Write out the equation for the heat flow out of the room (again using the same form of equation). That is your second equation. The unknowns are Qr and Tf.

Since, as you have said, the magnitudes of Qb and Qr are equal, you can reduce this to one equation with one unknown, Tf. Solve for Tf.

AM

Thank you thank you thank you :]

Turns out to be ~ 23.51 Celsius

Related to Thermodynamics: Object 1 in contact with Object 2

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its transformation into other forms of energy.

What is an object in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, an object is any physical body or system that is being studied in terms of its thermal properties and interactions with other objects.

What does it mean when two objects are in contact?

When two objects are in contact, it means that they are physically touching each other and can exchange heat and energy through conduction, convection, or radiation.

How does heat transfer occur between two objects in contact?

Heat transfer occurs between two objects in contact through the movement of thermal energy from the object with a higher temperature to the object with a lower temperature, until thermal equilibrium is reached.

What factors affect the transfer of heat between two objects in contact?

The transfer of heat between two objects in contact is affected by the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the objects, and the surface area and type of contact between the objects.