Thermodynamics Insulation Problem.

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a homework problem involving a steam house that needs to be kept at a certain temperature in cold weather. The problem requires calculating the rate of heat loss and finding a way to reduce heating costs. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final answer being that an additional 1.5 cm of insulation is needed to cut the heating bill in half.
tsMore

Homework Statement

Hi guys, thanks in advance! I am trying to wrap my head around some insulation problem I have been given. I think I got it but just want to be sure, this stuff still confuses me. Did do so well on the midterm!

The problem about a joe's heated outdoor steam house, which has to be at 60 degrees celcius, in the middle of the winter where it is -10 degrees outside. The house has a surface of 10 meters2, and has some insulation (0.05 meters thick thermal conductivity 0.040 W/mC). First we have to compute the rate of heat loss.

Then we know that Joe's heating bill is too high, and he wants to cut it in 1/2, but applying another layer of insulation on top of the existing one, but he doens't know how thick of a layer he needs. The new insulation has a thermal conductity of 0.01 W/mC.

Homework Equations

I hope I only need that Q/t = A x K (T_hot - T_cold) / thickness

or Q/t = A x K (T_hot - T_cold) / Sum(R)

and R = thickness/K

where K = thermal conductivity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, with the single insulation layer

Q/t = A x K (T_hot - T_cold) / thickness
Q/t = 10m2 x 0.040W/mC x (60 - -10)C / 0.050m

= 560

and with the multiple we need to cut 560 in 1/2 to get 280.

Rold = 0.050m / 0.040W/mC
Rnew = X / 0.010W/mC

Q/t = A x K (T_hot - T_cold) / Sum(R)
260 = 10m2 x (60 - -10)C / (0.050m / 0.040W/mC + X / 0.010W/mC)

325 + 26000X = 700
X = 0.0144m

about 1.5 cm of insulation I guess.

Thanks everyone!

tb

Physics news on Phys.org
tsMore said:
260 = 10m2 x (60 - -10)C / (0.050m / 0.040W/mC + X / 0.010W/mC)
You mean 280 here, right? You do (with this correction) get the right answer of .0125m, but you took the long way to get there.

If you solved the problem with only variables (not plugging in the numbers right away, just use "A" and "delta T" (which cancel out), and set (Q/t)2=0.5(Q/t)1, you see that

X2=(k2X1)/k1

h, I am not entirely sure what you are asking for, but I'll try to provide some guidance.

Firstly, it seems like you have correctly calculated the rate of heat loss for the single layer of insulation. This is an important step in understanding the problem, as it tells us how much heat is being lost per unit of time.

Next, you mention that Joe wants to cut his heating bill in half by adding another layer of insulation. This is a good idea, as adding more insulation will decrease the rate of heat loss, thus reducing the amount of energy needed to maintain the desired temperature inside the steam house.

To determine the thickness of the new insulation layer, you can use the equation:

Rnew = X / Knew

Where Rnew is the new thermal resistance (thickness divided by thermal conductivity), X is the thickness of the new insulation layer, and Knew is the thermal conductivity of the new insulation.

You can then use this value of Rnew in the equation:

Q/t = A x K (T_hot - T_cold) / Sum(R)

Where Q/t is the desired rate of heat loss (in this case, half of the original rate), A is the surface area of the steam house, K is the thermal conductivity of the original insulation, T_hot is the desired temperature (60 degrees Celsius), T_cold is the outside temperature (-10 degrees Celsius), and Sum(R) is the sum of the thermal resistances of both insulation layers (Rold + Rnew).

Solving for X will give you the desired thickness of the new insulation layer.

I hope this helps! Remember to always double check your equations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

Related to Thermodynamics Insulation Problem.

1. What is the thermodynamics insulation problem?

The thermodynamics insulation problem refers to the challenge of reducing heat transfer between two objects or spaces with different temperatures. This is important in various industries, such as building construction and energy production, to maintain comfortable temperatures and conserve energy.

2. How does insulation work?

Insulation works by reducing the flow of heat between two objects or spaces. It does this by trapping air pockets within its material, which act as barriers for heat transfer. The more air pockets present, the better the insulation is at reducing heat transfer.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of insulation?

The effectiveness of insulation is affected by several factors, including the type of material used, its thickness, and its density. Other factors include the temperature difference between the two spaces, the presence of air leaks, and the surrounding environmental conditions.

4. How do scientists measure the thermal resistance of insulation?

The thermal resistance of insulation is measured using a unit called R-value. This value is determined by the thickness, density, and type of material used in insulation. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation's ability to resist heat transfer.

5. What are some common types of insulation used in buildings?

Some common types of insulation used in buildings include fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and mineral wool. These materials come in various forms, such as batts, rolls, and spray foam, and are often used in combination to provide optimal thermal resistance.