Thermodynamics. Finding specific heat capacity

In summary, the gas is expanding and the work done is constant, so the molar heat capacity is also constant.
Rugile

Homework Statement

Ideal gas of point particles is expanding so that its molar heat capacity Cx is constant and the work done by gas is W = 156J. Then the gas is isochorically heated to the initial temperature by receiving the quantity of heat which is Q = 125 J. Find Cx.

Homework Equations

W=pΔV=nRΔT
Q=nCvΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

So first of all, we know that the second process is isochoric. Though we don't know the type of first process. Yet it can't be isochoric, because the work done is not equal to 0. It is also not isothermic, because there is a temperature change. So the first process is isobaric and the molar heat capacity we're looking for is Cp. I managed to derive from the two equations that Cv = A / (QR). Aaand I'm stuck. How do I connect the two molar heat capacities? Are my attempt at solution and assumptions correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rugile. Welcome to Physics Forums.

There seem to be some omissions from the problem statement. Is this the exact wording of the problem statement, or is it your interpretation? Is any mention made of the number of moles of gas? Is any mention made that the first expansion is adiabatic and reversible? Please write out the problem statement exactly as it appears in your book (or whatever).

Chet

Hi and thank you for the greeting :)

This problem statement is in fact translated, though nothing seems to be omitted. Nothing mentioned about the expansion being reversible. Is it incorrect to assume that the first expansion can't be adiabatic as the molar heat capacity during the first process remains constant?

I doubt the original statement would be any help as it was translated. Also I'm pretty sure this is the all information we get from the statement - no moles of gas, nothing else. Is my solution provided in first post incorrect?

Rugile

Rugile said:
Hi and thank you for the greeting :)

This problem statement is in fact translated, though nothing seems to be omitted. Nothing mentioned about the expansion being reversible. Is it incorrect to assume that the first expansion can't be adiabatic as the molar heat capacity during the first process remains constant?

I doubt the original statement would be any help as it was translated. Also I'm pretty sure this is the all information we get from the statement - no moles of gas, nothing else. Is my solution provided in first post incorrect?

Rugile
I don't know. We must have lost something in the translation. Incidentally, just because the molar heat capacity is constant doesn't mean that the process isn't adiabatic.

Chestermiller said:
I don't know. We must have lost something in the translation. Incidentally, just because the molar heat capacity is constant doesn't mean that the process isn't adiabatic.

Well we also know that the gas is made up of single (individual) atoms. But we don't know what atoms. Nothing can be lost, I checked it like a hundred times.

Related to Thermodynamics. Finding specific heat capacity

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transformed from one form to another and how it affects matter.

How is heat related to thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference. In thermodynamics, heat is one of the main factors that is studied as it can cause changes in the properties of matter.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a measure of how well a substance can store thermal energy.

How is specific heat capacity calculated?

Specific heat capacity is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred by the mass of the substance and the change in temperature. The resulting value is expressed in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in designing heating and cooling systems, and in determining the energy efficiency of materials.