Thermodynamics - engines question

In summary: Once you have V3, you can find V4 using the compression ratio. Then, use the ideal gas law again to find T4. In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving compression ratios and ideal gas law. The participants are discussing how to find the values of T4 and T2 using given equations and variables. They also discuss how to apply the constant 1.4 in the equation and how to find the compression ratio. Eventually, it is determined that V3 and V4 are not equal, but they can be found using the ideal gas law and the compression ratio. The conversation ends with the participants seeking help to solve the problem.
Jaydude
I'm stuck on a question, part d below:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426372078.640984.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426372110.374401.jpg

My attempt:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426372492.452289.jpg

I reckon that T4 = T3 and T2 = T1, otherwise I don't know how else you can get T4 and T2...?

Once I got first part of d, I reckon I could do efficiency using part c that I derived.

I don't see where I'm supposed to use compression ratios in this question, if someone can direct me to the right path please!

(If this is supposed to be in advanced physics section, please let me know for next time!)

Kind regards,

Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jay. Welcome to PF!

Jaydude said:
I reckon that T4 = T3 and T2 = T1, otherwise I don't know how else you can get T4 and T2...?
You are given that ##P_2V_2^\gamma = P_1V_1^\gamma##. See if you can use that along with the ideal gas law to express T2 in terms of T1, V1 and V2.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426442178.074818.jpg

Sweet! But now I'm not sure how to get t4? And how do I apply that to get work done?

I could use my equation (correct) in part b but I don't know what Cp and Cv are, how do I apply the constant 1.4 there?

(I'm going to assume t2 is correct here...)

Thanks!

Try a similar calculation to find T4 in terms of T3.

TSny said:
Hello Jay. Welcome to PF!You are given that ##P_2V_2^\gamma = P_1V_1^\gamma##. See if you can use that along with the ideal gas law to express T2 in terms of T1, V1 and V2.
TSny said:
Try a similar calculation to find T4 in terms of T3.

But I don't have V3/V4 compression ratio :(

Jaydude said:
But I don't have V3/V4 compression ratio :(
How is V4 related to V1? How is V3 related to V2?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426446649.608185.jpg

I see what you did there, but I get the incorrect answer, T4 should be 1379k

What have I done wrong ?

How do you justify taking V4 / V3 to be 16?

TSny said:
How is V4 related to V1? How is V3 related to V2?
TSny said:
How do you justify taking V4 / V3 to be 16?

If V4 = V1 and V3 = V2, and we know V1/V2 = 16, then V4/V3 = 16 too...?

I see my problem.

V2 does not equal V3!

Can't solve this, its getting annoying as I've spent hours ripping my hair out on this!

Last edited:
Bump. Can Someone point me in the right direction here/helpout with the solution? This is only for my practise and is not part of any H/W or Cwk and all of my friends are struggling with this Q too.

Kind regards,
Jay

V2 does not equal V3, but you can express V3 in terms of V2 using the ideal gas law.

Related to Thermodynamics - engines question

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to other forms of energy.

2. What is an engine in the context of thermodynamics?

An engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical energy, typically through the use of a working fluid such as steam or gas.

3. How does an engine work?

An engine works by taking in a high-temperature heat source, converting some of that heat into mechanical energy, and then expelling the remaining heat to a lower-temperature sink.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law of thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total entropy of the universe will always increase.

5. What is the efficiency of an engine?

The efficiency of an engine is a measure of how well it converts heat energy into mechanical energy. It is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the total heat input and is always less than 100% due to the second law of thermodynamics.