Thermodynamics: Compressor Axial work

In summary, the gas is an ideal gas and the compressor is exerting a force on it to create a change in kinetic and dynamic energy.
FreelandME

Homework Statement

[/B]
Thermodynamics problem

Air enters a compressor at a temperature of 290 Kelvin and pressure 100 kPa with a stable volume flow of 2.5 m^3/s. The output temperature of the compressor is is 400 Kelvin and the velocity of the flow is 30 m/s. Air is implied to be an ideal gas under those conditions. The cooling of the compressed is done with a refrigant that absorbs heat from the air with a speed of 750 kJ / min. If the changes in kinetic and dynamic energies are negligible and the flow is permanent then find the axial force needed for the compressor to work .

Could someone help me with this problem? I'd really appreciate it , at least some help where i shoudl start from

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble where to start from , first thoughts where to find the state of air through the tables in the input and output of compressor , but beside that i haven't come to a better idea yet

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me guess. You're learning about the (open system) flow version of the first law of thermodynamics, correct? If so, please write down the relevant equation that applies to this situation. You are going to need to determine the outlet pressure. Based on the first sentence in the problem statement, what it the mass flow rate? If you want to find the axial force on the rotor, you are going to need to do a momentum balance also. How would you express that?

Chet

Q12 - W 12 = m [ h2 - h1 + (V22- V21)/2+ g (z2-z1)] (1)

and since

elD1wqJ.png

we have kinetic and dynamic energies neglible
Q12 = 0
E(mass in-mass out) = 0 aswell

so we take from 1

W12= h2 - h1

after working out a bit with it that's what i finished to , i find enthalpies from tables with linear intepollaration , but is this the axial work of compressor or I'm mistaken?

Last edited:
Q is not zero. So

Q - W = m(h2-h1)

Do you know how to determine the mass flow rate, given the information in the first sentence of the problem statement?

Chet

I'm pretty sure we use the ideal gas law to find the density and then with multiplication of density with the volume flow rate we find the mass flow rate, now some questions as Q we use the heat that the refrigant absorbs so Q=-750KJ/min , the W we finally get is the axial work I am looking for? Where should i use the velocity flow at that is given on the second sentence?

FreelandME said:
I'm pretty sure we use the ideal gas law to find the density and then with multiplication of density with the volume flow rate we find the mass flow rate, now some questions as Q we use the heat that the refrigant absorbs so Q=-750KJ/min , the W we finally get is the axial work I am looking for?
Yes.
Where should i use the velocity flow at that is given on the second sentence?
Well, you are also asked to find the force on the rotor. This is where the velocity of flow would come in. So, a momentum balance would be involved. But I've been having trouble with this because there seems to be a piece of vital information missing (according to my judgement). I feel that, to do the momentum balance, you need to know either the inlet velocity or the cross sectional area of the compressor. The information at the outlet end seems adequate, when combined with the mass flow rate at the inlet end. Has anything been left out in the problem statement regarding the inlet or the cross sectional area?

Chet

Nothing has been left out

FreelandME said:
Nothing has been left out
Well, anyway, please try writing out algebraically a momentum balance on the gas, taking the entire compressor as the control volume and letting F be the force that the rotor exerts horizontally on the gas.

Related to Thermodynamics: Compressor Axial work

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how thermal energy is converted into other forms of energy and how it flows between systems.

2. What is a compressor?

A compressor is a mechanical device that increases the pressure of a gas by reducing its volume. It works by trapping a gas in a confined space and then decreasing the volume of that space, causing the gas to be compressed and its pressure to increase.

3. What is axial work in relation to a compressor?

Axial work in a compressor refers to the work done by the axial motion of the compressor blades. As the blades rotate, they compress the gas and increase its pressure, causing the gas to move in the axial direction.

4. How is axial work calculated?

Axial work can be calculated using the equation W = m(u2-u1), where W is the axial work, m is the mass flow rate, and u2 and u1 are the axial velocities at the outlet and inlet of the compressor, respectively.

5. What factors affect the amount of axial work in a compressor?

The amount of axial work in a compressor is affected by the mass flow rate, the change in axial velocity, and the efficiency of the compressor. A higher mass flow rate and a larger change in axial velocity will result in more axial work being done, while a more efficient compressor will require less work to achieve the same increase in pressure.