Thermodynamics - again, Part of the ice that melt :S

In summary, the problem involves a stamp of iron with mass M and temperature T0 being placed on a cube of ice with mass m and temperature t0 = 0 degrees Celsius. The goal is to determine the percentage of ice that will melt. The formula Q = mc\Deltat is relevant, but there are multiple unknown variables (T and K) depending on the approach used. The specific method needed is unclear without more information.
Planck const

Homework Statement

Stamp of iron the his mass - M and temp' - T0 (T0>100 C deg') has been placed on cube of ice.

The mass of the ice - m, the temp' - t0 = 0 C deg'

How many present of the ice get melt?

Homework Equations

Q = mc[itex]\Delta[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

If I let all the ice getting melt, I got one equation with one unknown size - T (end)

But if I define constant K that representative the presents of the ice that melt... I got two unknown sizes - K and T (end)

What I supposed to do?!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Without actual numbers to put in the variables there are a number of different outcomes possible. Perhaps you are expected to identify and show formulas for all of the possibilities?

Related to Thermodynamics - again, Part of the ice that melt :S

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, work, and energy and their relationship to each other.

2. How does thermodynamics relate to melting ice?

In thermodynamics, melting ice is an example of a phase change, where a solid (ice) is converted into a liquid (water) due to an increase in temperature.

3. What is the role of energy in thermodynamics and melting ice?

In thermodynamics, energy is a fundamental concept and is essential in understanding phase changes such as melting ice. In the case of melting ice, energy is required to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the ice molecules together and allow them to move and slide past each other, resulting in a change in state from solid to liquid.

4. Does thermodynamics apply to all substances?

Yes, thermodynamics applies to all substances as it is a fundamental principle of nature. It helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy, and its laws are applicable to all forms of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases.

5. Can thermodynamics be used to predict the melting rate of ice?

Yes, thermodynamics can be used to predict the melting rate of ice. By understanding the principles of thermodynamics and the properties of the ice (such as its specific heat capacity), we can calculate the energy required to melt a certain amount of ice and predict how long it will take for the ice to melt under specific conditions.