Thermodynamic - Work done in a system

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the work done on an ideal gas that is initially at atmospheric pressure and held at a constant temperature of 300 K. The volume is decreased until the pressure doubles and the question also asks for the amount of heat that flows out of the gas. Using the equation W = ∫P(V)dV for work done in a varying pressure, the student substituted in the ideal gas equation and obtained a value of 319 joules for the work done. However, the student then realized that internal energy stays constant in an isothermal cycle and therefore work done is equal to heat out. After plugging in the same values, the student obtained a value of 93 kJ for the work done, but
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

The question is as following:

One litre of an ideal gas, initially at atmospheric pressure, is held at a constant
temperature of 300 K (by maintaining good thermal contact with a thermal reservoir
held at this temperature). The volume is decreased until the pressure doubles.
Calculate how much work is done on the gas. How much heat flows out of the gas?

Homework Equations

[tex]W = \int P(V) dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know that for work done in a varying pressure , I must use the following equation:[tex]W = \int P(V) dV[/tex]
where I sub in ideal gas equation for pressure.

[itex]W = nRT\ln{(V0/V)}[/itex] (since it's compression not expansion)

Information that's given : 1 lite of water = 55.5 moles , T = 300k , Pressure 1 : 1x10^5 , pressure 2 : 2x10^5 , Volume one : 0.001 m3 , volume 2 : 5x10^-4 (since p1v1 = p2v2)After having plugged in the numbers.. I get work of 319 joules .
Am I on the right track ? also since this is an isothermal cycle Internal energy stays constant i.e dE =0, So work done = heat out, right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No ,I have just plugged int he same values I get 93 kJoules of work.. is this wrong ?

Would you write a line of numbers showing the arithmetic you did in substituting into the formula for the polytropic process.

Is the work done 69.3J?

Sure .
We know work = -p(V)dv which when we substitude int the ideal gas equation becomes : W = integral of nrt/v dv 8.31 * 55.5 * 300 * ln(0.001/ 5x10^-4)

Last night I got a value of 320 joules but now when I am plugging the same numbers into my calculator... an absurd quantity shows up.

What am I doing wrong ?

@ grzz: I don't know. hmm

grzz said:
Is the work done 69.3J?

That is what I computed.

Your equation shouldn't have n, R or T in it. All you need to compute P(V) is [itex] PV = P_0 V_0 [/itex] and you know [itex] P_0 [/itex] and [itex] V_0 [/itex]

How did you get the value of the number of moles, n?

LawrenceC said:
That is what I computed.
I can't get that answer... hmm
willem2 said:
Your equation shouldn't have n, R or T in it. All you need to compute P(V) is [itex] PV = P_0 V_0 [/itex] and you know [itex] P_0 [/itex] and [itex] V_0 [/itex]
I am confused. The question does give t =300k.
grzz said:
How did you get the value of the number of moles, n?

Well the given quantity of water is 1 litre = 1000g
Moles = mass / mr = 1000 / 18 = 55.5 .

PV = nRT
PV/(RT) = n and i do not get 55.5 for n.

grzz said:
PV = nRT
PV/(RT) = n and i do not get 55.5 for n.

What's wrong with my value of n ? I am totally lost on how to solve this question.

ibysaiyan said:
Well the given quantity of water is 1 litre = 1000g
Moles = mass / mr = 1000 / 18 = 55.5 .

I do not understand why you put 18.

The substance is an ideal gas. It is not water.

grzz said:
The substance is an ideal gas. It is not water.

OMG. You're right! there's no mention of water!
In this case would n = 0.040 [itex]W = nRT\ln{(V0/V)}[/itex]

Then let me try to compute in the answer.I FINALLY GOT THE ANSWER OF 69 JOULES!1 YES! YAY.. THANKS EVERYONE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..

Last edited:
I used to tell my students to THINK and I used to remind them of that very often when correcting their homework.
Let me share this with you. They heard that word so often that once a student turned up with a T-shirt printed 'THINK' on one side and 'E = mc[itex]^{2}[/itex] ' on the other.

grzz said:
I used to tell my students to THINK and I used to remind them of that very often when correcting their homework.
Let me share this with you. They heard that word so often that once a student turned up with a T-shirt printed 'THINK' on one side and 'E = mc[itex]^{2}[/itex] ' on the other.

Thanks for sharing that. It made me chuckle. lol

Such students should often think at a slower rate, there's no of urgency. (I ,myself am included into this category)

Related to Thermodynamic - Work done in a system

1. What is work done in a thermodynamic system?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another due to a force acting over a distance. In other words, it is the amount of energy that is used to move an object against a force.

2. How is work related to heat in a thermodynamic system?

Work and heat are both forms of energy, but they are not the same. Work is the energy transferred due to a force acting over a distance, whereas heat is the energy transferred due to a temperature difference. In a thermodynamic system, work can be converted into heat and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating work done in a thermodynamic system?

The formula for work done in a thermodynamic system is W = F x d, where W is work (in joules), F is the force applied (in newtons), and d is the distance over which the force is applied (in meters).

4. Can work done in a thermodynamic system be negative?

Yes, work done in a thermodynamic system can be negative. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. In other words, work is considered negative when the system is doing work on the surroundings, rather than the surroundings doing work on the system.

5. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal work in a thermodynamic system?

Adiabatic work is the work done in a system where no heat is transferred. This means that the change in internal energy is equal to the work done. In contrast, isothermal work is the work done in a system where the temperature remains constant. In this case, the change in internal energy is equal to the heat transferred.