Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation

In summary, to calibrate the MQ-3 sensor for the content of alcohol in air, you will need to use the equilibrium vapor pressure equation and the Ideal Gas Law. The equilibrium vapor pressure of ethanol can be calculated using the Antoine Equation, and the amount of ethanol in the air can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law.
Juanka
I am try to calibrate an MQ-3 sensor with and Arduino board.

However, I need a little help with thermodynamics, I am using a container of alcohol which has a volume of 591.470 mL, only 100mL is filled with 100 proof (50%) alcohol. However I need to calibrate the sensor to the content of alcohol in air the container. I need a thermodynamic relation of how much ethanol is saturated in the air when it is fully saturated at room temperature (23C) (assuming 100% dry air). Density of ethanol is 0.789 g/cm^3.

How can I mathematically calculate how much alcohol is in the air?

I am familiar with thermodynamic steam saturation tables, yet I have not seen any refrencing ethanol.

Any help with a formula that I can implement?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The formula you are looking for is the equilibrium vapor pressure equation. The equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid is the partial pressure of the vapor in a system at equilibrium with its liquid phase. It can be calculated by the Antoine Equation, which is given by: log10 P = A – B / (T + C)Where P is the equilibrium vapor pressure (in mmHg), T is the temperature (in degrees Celsius), A, B, and C are the Antoine constants for a given substance. For ethanol, the Antoine constants are A = 8.0665, B = 1543.4, and C = -23.252. Therefore, to calculate the equilibrium vapor pressure of ethanol at 23°C, you would plug in the values into the equation to get: log10 P = 8.0665 - 1543.4 / (23 + (-23.252)) = 8.7779 mmHg. To determine the amount of ethanol in the air, you can then use the Ideal Gas Law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure (in this case, the equilibrium vapor pressure), V is the volume of the container, n is the number of moles of ethanol, R is the ideal gas constant (8.314 J/mol·K), and T is the temperature (in Kelvin). If the container has a volume of 591.470 mL, then the number of moles of ethanol can be calculated by dividing the volume by the molar volume (the molar volume of ethanol is 22.4 L/mol): n = V/Vm = 591.470 mL / 22.4 L/mol = 26.511 mol Therefore, the amount of ethanol in the air can be calculated by plugging in the values into the ideal gas law equation to get: PV = nRT PV = (26.511 mol)(8.314 J/mol·K)(296.15 K) PV = 6,295.7 J Therefore, the amount of ethanol in the air is 6,295.7 J.

Related to Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation

What is "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation"?

Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation refers to the point at which a solution of ethanol and water reaches equilibrium, meaning that no more ethanol can be dissolved in the solution.

What factors affect "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation"?

The main factors that affect thermodynamic ethanol saturation are temperature, pressure, and the concentration of the ethanol and water in the solution. In general, higher temperatures and lower pressures lead to higher saturation levels, while higher concentrations of ethanol and water can decrease saturation levels.

How is "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation" measured?

Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation is typically measured using a variety of techniques including distillation, gas chromatography, and refractometry. These methods allow for the determination of the exact concentration of ethanol in a solution and can be used to determine the saturation point.

Why is "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation" important?

Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation is important in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the production of alcoholic beverages, biofuels, and pharmaceuticals. Understanding the saturation point of ethanol and water solutions is crucial in these processes and can impact the quality and efficiency of the final product.

Can "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation" be manipulated?

Yes, "Thermodynamic Ethanol Saturation" can be manipulated by changing the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the ethanol and water in the solution. By adjusting these factors, the saturation point can be shifted, allowing for more or less ethanol to be dissolved in the solution.