Thermodynamic Entropy Clarification

In summary, the question is asking for the change in entropy of a system where 0.6 kg of water at 25°C is mixed with 0.8 kg of alcohol at 30.5°C, using the specific heat capacity of water (4186 J/kg°C) and alcohol (2430 J/kg°C). The final temperature after equilibrium is 300.55 K (27.4°C). The equation used to calculate the change in entropy is ∆S = Mw*Cw*ln(Tf/Tw) + Ma*Ca*ln(Tf/Ta). The final entropy value will depend on whether Kelvin or Celsius is used, with a value of 0.0794 J/K for Kelvin and
bpaterni

Homework Statement

We mix 0.6 kg of water at a temperature of 25°C with 0.8 kg of alcohol at 30.5°C. They
come to equilibrium. (Here's some useful data: The specific heat capacity for water is 1
kcal/kg°C = 4186 J/kg°C, and for alcohol it is 0.58 kcal/kg°C = 2430 J/kg°C

What is the change in entropy (in J/K) of the system when the two are mixed?

Homework Equations

∆S = ∆Sw + ∆Sa = Mw*Cw*ln(Tf /TW) + Ma*Ca*ln(Tf /Ta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the final temperature to be 300.55 K or 27.4 C

so now the equation looks like:
.6*4186*Ln(Tf/Tw) + .6*2430*Ln(Tf/Ta) = dS

The problem is, do I use Kelvin or Celsius for the entropy calculation? I get two totally different values if I do either one... .0794 with K or 21.87 with C.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use Kelvin.

I would first clarify with the instructor or whoever gave the homework assignment whether the change in entropy should be calculated in Kelvin or Celsius. This is important because the units of entropy are Joules per Kelvin (J/K), so using the wrong temperature scale can result in incorrect values.

Assuming that the change in entropy should be calculated in Kelvin, I would proceed with the calculation using the final temperature of 300.55 K. However, if the change in entropy should be calculated in Celsius, then I would convert the final temperature to 27.4°C before plugging it into the equation.

It is also important to note that the change in entropy for this system is a positive value, indicating an increase in disorder or randomness. This is expected since the two substances are mixing and reaching equilibrium, which is a state of maximum disorder.

Related to Thermodynamic Entropy Clarification

1. What is thermodynamic entropy?

Thermodynamic entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, which deals with the transfer of energy and its effects on matter.

2. How is thermodynamic entropy related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally disperse and become more evenly distributed, resulting in an increase in entropy.

3. Can thermodynamic entropy be reversed?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the overall entropy of a closed system can never decrease. However, the local entropy of a system can decrease if there is an input of external energy, such as through a chemical reaction or other process.

4. How is thermodynamic entropy measured?

Thermodynamic entropy is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K). It can also be measured in units of bits, which represent the amount of information needed to describe the state of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamic entropy?

Thermodynamic entropy has many applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems in chemical reactions, power generation, and heat transfer processes. It is also a key concept in the study of information theory and its applications in computer science and communication systems.